New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Am I an idiot?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-04-2008, 06:23 PM   #1
Hooraybeer!
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Am I an idiot?

All right total n00b here, looking for help... I think I may have ruined my first batch from an error of omission; I think I may have left out a key ingredient when making my wort. Please tell me if everything below looks okay:

1) boiled my water (3 gallons) in a 5 gallon sanatized pot
2) added my malt extract (liguid Coopers Stout), which has the hops in it
3) boiled for 70F minutes
4) rehydrated/proofed the dry yeast - it seemed fine
5) cooled the wort to 85F degrees in 40 mins, aggresively mixed with the yeast in 5 gallon glass carboy
6) its been sitting for a week now, airlock bubbling has subsided, but at the most it only ever really bubbled a few bubbles per minute... pretty slow
7) constant carboy temp of ~70F
8) now playing the waiting game until bottled next week

So heres my question... back at the point when I was making the wort, was I supposed to add some sort of SUGAR to the wort at that time, or not? (I didnt) The instructions on the can of Coopers said to add sugar.. but after reading up on all of this I noticed that most powers that be said DO NOT FOLLOW INSTRUCTIONS ON THOSE CANS UNLESS YOU WANT TO BREW SLIGHTLY ALCOHOLIC POND WATER... John Palmers book said this. In the instructions he had, he did NOT include adding any sugar into the wort until priming. So, I didnt add any sugar.

So am I an idiot, or does anybody else have experience with a ton of confliction instructions on how to do what should otherwise be a pretty simple task...?

Did I screw up, and if I did is it salvagable? I want to know so if I did, I can dump the crap out and get a new batch rockin and rollin!

Thanks!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-04-2008, 06:26 PM   #2
c.n.budz

Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 18 Posts

In place of sugar you could have added more malt extract. How much extract did the kit come with?

Either way, your beer will be fine. Welcome to the forum

Always do sober what you do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut. -Ernest Hemingway

Old 01-04-2008, 06:28 PM   #3
Professor Frink

Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 12 Posts

It looks like your beer will be just fine. If it said to add sugar and you didn't, you'll just get a lower ABV beer (but it might just taste better). Welcome to the HBT!

On tap:Amber Ale
Milk Stout

Lagering:

http://www.lazydogbrewery.com

Old 01-04-2008, 06:56 PM   #4
Hooraybeer!
Recipes 

Thanks for the welcome guys... I appreciate the help.

The extract was in the kit (can) was 2.75 lbs. How much lower ABV are we talkin here? Oh and of course like any good n00b worth his weight in crap, I forgot to take an OG reading. Whoops.

(I think from now on I'm not going to use those "Beer in a Can" things and just use dry extracts, hops, and yeasts.)

Old 01-04-2008, 07:01 PM   #5
c.n.budz

Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 18 Posts

Well, if you did a 3 gallon batch the ABV won't be horribly low but without any gravity readings it's impossible to give an exact figure. Don't worry though, if it's too weak just knock back a shot of whiskey with the beer

Always do sober what you do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut. -Ernest Hemingway

Old 01-04-2008, 07:01 PM   #6
aekdbbop

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

FWIW.. you dont need to sanitize the pot if you are going to be boiling in it.. I think the heat should take care of that for you...

Old 01-04-2008, 07:02 PM   #7
Rick_R
Still Love Fried Chicken
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Did you add more water when you put it in the carboy or is it still just the three gallons?

Rick

Old 01-04-2008, 07:22 PM   #8
Hooraybeer!
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickylr
Did you add more water when you put it in the carboy or is it still just the three gallons?

Rick
Yes, I topped it off at 5 gallons exactly, I used cool water to help cool the wort.

Thats a good point about not having to sanatize the pot... just a by-product of when I used it and my bottling fermentor to sanatize my other stuff.

BTW I'm using 1TBSPN of bleach per gallon of water to sanatize everything... do so for about 30 minutes. Is that enough to sanatize, and do I need to rinse after just that concentration of bleach? If so, can I rinse with hot tap water or does that rinsing water also have to be pre-boiled or bottled?

Old 01-04-2008, 07:45 PM   #9
aekdbbop

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

yes I would always rinse after using bleach... thats a tough question about the water being preboiled already.. I would think you would be ok though.

Look into getting some iodophor or starsan, both are no rinse, and will last forever.

Old 01-04-2008, 07:46 PM   #10
Neomich
Recipes 

Chalk it up to lessons learned. I'm not really sure what the outcome will be with only 2.75 # of LME in a 5 gallon batch but just treat it like a normal batch and see what happens.

If nothing else, you can call it a 'light' *gasp* beer and pass it off as an intentional decision. Trade people full bottles for empty six packs and build up your collection or something. Nobody will know but you.

"You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline - it helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer."

-Frank Zappa

Quick Reply