Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Am I going to have a beer smelling apartment?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-23-2008, 05:53 AM   #1
FreakinA
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Am I going to have a beer smelling apartment?

Ok So Sunday my buddy(roomate) and I both got our first beer kits. We both brewed beers of similar OGs on the same day(one after another) Mine was 1.044 and is now 1.018(it dropped to 1.020 the first 23 hours) and his started at 1.042 and was 1.020 also today. I come home from class, and since his hydrometer has read 1.020 the past 2 days, he decided to bottle it, when its only been a bit over 72 hours. To his credit the reading was still 2 days in a row, but its only been 72 hours! Are all of his bottles going to explode and make a mess that I will likely have to help clean? The yeast was muntons which I have heard yields low attenuation, but Im scared of having boxes full of broken glass and wasted beer.

Guy Fawkes Pale Ale
Bottled:
Gunslinger Pale
Elephantine Pale Ale
On Tap
60 Minute IPA

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-23-2008, 06:43 AM   #2
z987k

Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 20 Posts

Um... yes your bottles are going to explode. That's really all there is to that.

Old 10-23-2008, 06:47 AM   #3
Gordie
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 7 Posts

You are correct.

Now run.

Old 10-23-2008, 06:55 AM   #4
FreakinA
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Is there any chance of saving them?
edit: also, my beer too has had the exact reading 2 days in a row, 1.018, if this is the same reading I get tomorrow, should I just give it a couple more days in the primary to be safe?

Guy Fawkes Pale Ale
Bottled:
Gunslinger Pale
Elephantine Pale Ale
On Tap
60 Minute IPA

Last edited by FreakinA; 10-23-2008 at 07:00 AM.

Old 10-23-2008, 08:20 AM   #5
ifishsum
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

My advice is to definitely leave it for a while. As hard as it is for your first batch, give it at least 10-14 days total before bottling, and more if you can stand it. Your beer may finish gravity wise in 3-4 days but it really isn't done, the yeast needs more time to clean up after itself and condition the beer. I know the kits say you can bottle after a week but I can tell you from personal experience that your beer will taste far better if you wait for two weeks, and far better yet if you go for 3. It's a very hard wait, and it helps a lot if you start another batch in the meantime (use your buddies fermenter if he'll let you). Compare your batch to his (if it survives) and you'll be able to tell the difference I'm sure.

It only took me about 3 batches to become convinced that it takes 6 weeks minimum to make good quality beer. 3 weeks in primary (or primary and secondary combined) and 3 weeks in the bottle. And those bottles get even better after 4-5 weeks if I stay out of them.

As for your buddies batch, I'd probably open one up after 3-4 days and try to get a feel for the carbonation level. They can be uncapped and recapped to release some pressure if necessary. And get a large rubbermaid tote with a lid to put them in, bursting bottles are not only messy but they can be quite dangerous.

Primary 2: Edwort's Robust Porter
Secondary 1: LW Pale Ale
Secondary 1: Blackened Soul RIS
Kegged: Dead Guy Ale
Kegged: Rye Pale Ale
Kegged: Haus Pale Ale
Kegged: Nut Brown Ale
Kegged: Afrikan Amber
Kegged: Jock Scott Ale
Kegged: Afrikan Amber

Last edited by ifishsum; 10-23-2008 at 08:25 AM.

Old 10-23-2008, 09:39 AM   #6
Kauai_Kahuna
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Not to be an A-h0le, but do a search on hooch if that is what you want, otherwise, read this forum.

Now why do people love to freak the newbies.

ifishsum - gave good advice. Time equals good beer.
Your a college student, I understand the desire / need to make brew "right now", but take a microbiology class and grok that yeast do not follow your time line.

Please give it at least another week, then bottle.

Hell do it right and give it another month, then bottle.

Actually, with out knowing what grog/hooch/beer your making it could be a month to a year, next time please post your ingredients, recipe, etc.

In short, if your making beer, you came to the right place to learn. If you want a cheap buzz, get some everclear and some fruits to make something really nasty but good stuff for your next party.

If you get some bottle bombs, cover you eyes, put on some gloves, and chill the bottles and server at your next party a week from now. Then learn how to make real beer.

Once again, not trying to be an A-..... but brewing covers a lot of ground, this board is for brewing good beer.

---
In Primary: Belgium Chimay clones.
In Secondary: Braggot, pale ale, end of the world white.
Conditioning: Mead, Cider, braggot, Belgium Wheat.
On Tap: Clones, Chimay Blue, Red, Porter, malted cider.
Bottles: Far, far, too many to list.

Old 10-23-2008, 09:48 AM   #7
Kauai_Kahuna
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

OK, reading my last post: it was a little bit harsh even for me.
FreakinA - Give your beer a week more, THEN - let it sit until it clears. Once you see nothing but clear "darker" liquid, then bottle.
Depending on the bottles, your room-mates beer will be OK, except for more yeast/trub/Cra- settling on the bottom, but if one blows, chill all of them, give them 2 days to a week then open and drink -CAREFULLY-.

Best of luck and really, you have entered a brave new world, please make the most of it.

---
In Primary: Belgium Chimay clones.
In Secondary: Braggot, pale ale, end of the world white.
Conditioning: Mead, Cider, braggot, Belgium Wheat.
On Tap: Clones, Chimay Blue, Red, Porter, malted cider.
Bottles: Far, far, too many to list.

Old 10-23-2008, 11:39 AM   #8
jay4e
Recipes 

If it was sitting at 1020 for a couple days you probably won't have bombs. Some yeasts, especial those that come in kits have a reputation of finishing on the high side (coopers?).

I'd say pop one in a few days and check the carbination. If it gushes when you open it then open a couple more. If they all do the same get the rest in the fridge asap. The cold will greatly slow fermentation. It won't stop it completely though so try one in a few days and if its drink able go at em. If they don't gush just recap the one (stay sanitary) and check again in a week.

Also check on them regularly and if you do get a bomb you can pop open a few and see how they are. Could be an isolated case due to contamination. If the others are fine recap. If they gush you can, if your careful about sanitation, go through and pop each one and let them vent a min then recap. Any that gush are probay a lost cause. If they don't gush but are well carbed (if you watch a lot of times you can see the co2 fog when you pop the top, or just pour a few into a glass), get them chilled after recaping.

Old 10-23-2008, 11:44 AM   #9
Laughing_Gnome_Invisible
Recipes 

Liked 510 Times on 393 Posts
Likes Given: 76

Store your bottle bombs in the bath. You are a student, so you won't be using it anyway.

Steven Hawking ~ As we say in science, the England football team couldn’t hit a cow’s arse with a banjo

Old 10-23-2008, 11:49 AM   #10
z987k

Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 20 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay4e View Post
If it was sitting at 1020 for a couple days you probably won't have bombs. Some yeasts, especial those that come in kits have a reputation of finishing on the high side (coopers?).

I'd say pop one in a few days and check the carbination. If it gushes when you open it then open a couple more. If they all do the same get the rest in the fridge asap. The cold will greatly slow fermentation. It won't stop it completely though so try one in a few days and if its drink able go at em. If they don't gush just recap the one (stay sanitary) and check again in a week.

Also check on them regularly and if you do get a bomb you can pop open a few and see how they are. Could be an isolated case due to contamination. If the others are fine recap. If they gush you can, if your careful about sanitation, go through and pop each one and let them vent a min then recap. Any that gush are probay a lost cause. If they don't gush but are well carbed (if you watch a lot of times you can see the co2 fog when you pop the top, or just pour a few into a glass), get them chilled after recaping.
actually it's still very likely that he will have bombs. In fact it's a 99% chance he will. Even when yeast seem to poop out, give it time and it will come down.

Quick Reply