Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Am I fermenting too warm? 68-72

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-29-2009, 03:57 PM   #1
ThatGuyRyan
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Am I fermenting too warm? 68-72

Most of the beer kits or recipes that I brewed say to ferment between 65-70. I have a dedicated room with a dedicated heat source so I can regulate the temp. So far I started brewing my first 3-4 batches at 69 degrees in the room but the stick on thermometer on the primaries read 72. My last few brews I lowered the room temp to 67 so the primaries are holding at 70 now.

My oldest beers are just 7 weeks old with one in the bottle for three weeks (cream ale) and the Dbl Belgian bottled about 2 weeks. I crack open a bottle every week to sample and note the difference and both seem green. The Cream Ale is more Skunk tasting almost like Becks. The Belgian is very green the first week it was more of a cider taste now its more molasses tasting so it is changing. But all my beers have a sweet taste to them when I sample at racking or during gravity readings.

Is this just because they are so young or because the first few I was told 10 days primary 7 days second then bottle. I now know that was not long enough for the primary and now hole them for 3 weeks and skip the secondary all together for some beers. But it seems that from what I read some of these off flavors can also be from too high of a temperature during fermentation.

So should I just keep them in the primary longer or should I be lowering my temp?

shat happens

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-29-2009, 04:00 PM   #2
bigjohnmilford
bigger than most
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 66 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 112

sounds like you are at the high end as far as temps go.

What's your hobby Ray? Drinkin. Want a beer Buddy?

Old 01-29-2009, 05:55 PM   #3
cmgray
Recipes 

The temp will be dependent on the yeast strain and the type of beer your making.

Most yeasts will have an optimum fermentation temp listed. It's best to stay within that range unless you know what you're doing with it. Staying near the upper end of the range will be more likely to attenuate further, thus reducing the sweetness of the final product. Too high of a temp can result in off flavors, but it's usually just more fruity/estery depending on the yeast strain and more high alcohols (taste or smell like solvent).

As far as your primary/secondary length is concerned, that also depends on the beer. 10 days in the primary should be long enough for most ales but 3 weeks will work as well. The only way to really know is to take gravity readings a couple of days apart after you see the bubbling the airlock slow way down. If the reading doesn't change then it's done. I'd recommend leaving it alone for a couple more days to allow the yeast to clean up and then go ahead and bottle. I'm in the "no secondary" camp. So I never use a secondary except for unusual cases like fruit beer or something like that.

Once you get all of that figured out, if you're still having too much sweetness in the final product the you should substitute some table sugar in place of some of the extract. Some brewing software can help you make the right amount of subtitution. I'd start at a couple percent and then you can go with more sugar if it doesn't dry it out enough.

That was probably too much information, so as always RDWHAHB.

Visit www.brewtility.com Online brewing software and beer recipes database.

Old 01-29-2009, 06:48 PM   #4
Mutilated1
Beer Drenched Executioner
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjohnmilford View Post
sounds like you are at the high end as far as temps go.
I agree.

I know some people ferment that warm, but I prefer to be on the cooler side of the fermentation range if possible. Beer just tastes better to me that way.

Old 01-29-2009, 06:53 PM   #5
Beerthoven

Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I ferment everything at 65F or less.

As for the skunky flavor you mentioned, it is usually caused by light exposure. Make sure your fermenters are shielded from light, especially if you are using glass, by draping a towel or t-shirt over them.

Primary/Secondary: #109 Rye, #110 APA

Kegged: #106 American Wheat, #107 IPA, #108 Nut Brown

Planned: Red IPA, American Brown

Old 01-29-2009, 07:05 PM   #6
Cpt_Kirks
Recipes 

Liked 44 Times on 39 Posts

With most ale's, the major amount of fermentation seems to take place in the first few days.

How critical is the temperature after the first few days?

Aren't most of the fusels and other off tastes created in the first few days?

Old 01-29-2009, 07:15 PM   #7
ifishsum
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpt_Kirks View Post
With most ale's, the major amount of fermentation seems to take place in the first few days.

How critical is the temperature after the first few days?

Aren't most of the fusels and other off tastes created in the first few days?
I believe that. Lately I've been keeping my ales at 62-65 for the first 4-5 days, once they slow down I like to bump up the temperature a little to maybe 68-70 just to help make sure they finish out well. It seems to be working well, I'm getting good attenuation without any off flavors.

When I started brewing this last summer I was fermenting at 72-75 and I was not near as happy with the quality of the beer. Keeping at the low end of the recommended temperature for the first few days definitely made a huge difference. Leaving them in the fermenter longer also helps reduce off flavors, I give them all at least 3 weeks before bottling. Half of that time is usually in a secondary carboy, but you can also just leave them in the primary.

Primary 2: Edwort's Robust Porter
Secondary 1: LW Pale Ale
Secondary 1: Blackened Soul RIS
Kegged: Dead Guy Ale
Kegged: Rye Pale Ale
Kegged: Haus Pale Ale
Kegged: Nut Brown Ale
Kegged: Afrikan Amber
Kegged: Jock Scott Ale
Kegged: Afrikan Amber

Last edited by ifishsum; 01-29-2009 at 07:19 PM.

Old 01-29-2009, 07:22 PM   #8
StoutFan
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 4

We keep the house at 68 all year round for the kids allergy's. My ales ferment fine, no off flavors, and I can lager in a spot in the barn at work( I love my boss, as long as I cough up a few long necks, no problem with storing anything there. )

Gambrinous - to be full of beer

Old 01-29-2009, 07:23 PM   #9
Cpt_Kirks
Recipes 

Liked 44 Times on 39 Posts

I have a cream ale that is ALMOST great. It is on the strong side, about a 7% ABV, which is OK.

However, it was very warm when I started it. It has some harsh, fusel tastes. Not a lot, but it doesn't take a lot, more of an aftertaste. It is a good beer, but if I had used better temperature control, it would have been a great beer.

Old 01-29-2009, 07:27 PM   #10
reim0027
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Another thing to consider is fermentation is exothermic. Therefore, as I was taught by the members here, it is usually a few degrees warmer inside the fermenter than outside.

Quick Reply