Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Am I crazy, jumping in so fast?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-14-2011, 04:39 AM   #1
fifthcircle
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Default Am I crazy, jumping in so fast?

First batch a month ago, american pale ale extract kit.

Second batch a few weeks ago, none more black vanilla stout recipe from here.

Third batch was Sunday, my own extract recipe converted and tweaked from a friends IPA.

The APA is drinkable, but kinda bitter. The stout tasted amazing at bottling time. Can't wait to get my rapidly fermenting IPA into the secondary and dry hopping!

I love this stuff!!!

So, I am thinking about going all grain ASAP. Should I slow my roll, or blaze on whilst throwing caution to the wind?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-14-2011, 04:45 AM   #2
Face Eater
I brew beer....
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 9 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 44 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I did 3 extract batches and then right to all grain. I don't see a problem with what your doing and thinking. Home-brewing is addicting and if your happy with what your brewing and the outcome then I say go for it! All grain has definitely challenged me more than extract did and there's a bunch more cool equipment which was fun to build. At least that is how I feel about it.

Old 12-14-2011, 04:46 AM   #3
Jwood
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 12 Posts

i went all-grain on my second batch. My first batch was Partial-mash. I say go for it. Once you do all-grain you will wonder why you waited this long in the first place.

I use this method: http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/easy...ng-pics-90132/ and get about 70% efficiency on my stove. I do have to do 4 gallon batches though, no biggie. Movin' out to the garage on a burner soon for the 5 gallon.

Old 12-14-2011, 04:46 AM   #4
jester5120
The Vanilla Gorilla
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 20

I would do some partial mash batches first. there's a lot more involved in all grain and partial mash is where most figure it out. there's no harm in trying tho. it'll cost a few bucks to get all grain equipment and some potential bad batches from the learning curve

Old 12-14-2011, 04:49 AM   #5
gointomexico
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Blaze on. If you have the money for the equipment, and the time to do it, go all grain. All grain takes a bit longer to do.

Old 12-14-2011, 04:56 AM   #6
gr8shandini
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 56 Times on 43 Posts

Go for it. I did about 10 extract batches before making the jump. Was nervous as hell the first time out, then quickly realized that it wasn't a big deal. As long as you can keep the temps between 145 and 160 for 45 minutes or so, you'll make beer. So the most likely worst case scenario is you end up with a beer that's about .010 off in OG. Not great, but nothing to sweat either.

That said, be conservative about your efficiency when planning your brew. If you're not milling your own grain, the best you can expect is the mid to high 60s. And if you haven't yet, do a search and read BobbyM's all grain primer.

Old 12-14-2011, 04:57 AM   #7
stanzela
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

If you love it, you'll do a fine job. It sounds like you're really into it and you've had some success and in my mind there is no reason to ever feel as though you have to start with extract-brewing or work your way up. The only way to learn is to do your homework and give it a shot. Brewing can be as complicated as you make it, but at the end of the day it's a relatively simple set of processes. It is, after all, a centuries(millenniums)-old activity and people were doing it long before any inking of a scientific understanding (not to mention the sanitation conditions and archaic equipment).

I say go for it!

Old 12-14-2011, 04:59 AM   #8
fifthcircle
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 8

I am familiar with the all grain process, as my friend has been brewing for 20someodd years, and I brewed a batch with him. Fun stuff. I will see how these two latest beers turn out and plan out my all grain equipment purchases for 2012. My birthday is Jan24, so maybe I can brew my first all grain that week.

Old 12-14-2011, 06:59 AM   #9
helibrewer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 259 Times on 225 Posts
Likes Given: 70

My might find the steam infusion mash thread over in the DIY section interesting. You can basically construct a fairly inexpensive system that will perform step mashing and only require a high volume kettle and a single burner (propane).

Primary:
Brite Tank/Lagering:
Kegged: Sour Saison, Pale Ale, Aggie Ale
Bottled: Belgian Quad (Grand Reserve), Derangement (Belgian Dark Strong)
On Deck: Firestone DBA, De Koninck Blonde
My Site: www.restlesscellars.com

Old 12-14-2011, 11:26 AM   #10
Calichusetts
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 282 Times on 195 Posts
Likes Given: 760

I started with all grain, never done an extract. The first time I learned how to do an extract I was disillusioned to say the least...didn't seem as "fun"

Quick Reply