Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > am I crazy?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-13-2012, 12:57 AM   #1
brewmasterswife
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Default am I crazy?

So...my husband is about to start brewing and I have a lot of wild ideas. I'm super creative and artistic so he has put me in charge of labels and names. Well I also want some say in flavors. I thought about....wait for it! ...a candied inspired line!
Chocolate covered cherry, Carmel apple (probably as a cider), chocolate covered peanuts, etcetera. So honestly, sound stupid or not obtainable or pure genius?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-13-2012, 01:04 AM   #2
freisste
Recipes 

Liked 286 Times on 238 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewmasterswife
So...my husband is about to start brewing and I have a lot of wild ideas. I'm super creative and artistic so he has put me in charge of labels and names. Well I also want some say in flavors. I thought about....wait for it! ...a candied inspired line!
Chocolate covered cherry, Carmel apple (probably as a cider), chocolate covered peanuts, etcetera. So honestly, sound stupid or not obtainable or pure genius?
Chocolate covered cherry sounds pretty easy to figure out (at least to swag, it will definitely take some tuning). Chocolate covered peanuts might be a little harder, but likely doable.

I have found that it actually isn't too hard to find some recipes. If you have a LHBS, hit them up for ideas. You can also do some googling. Good luck and post your recipes when you have them perfected. (Also, this site is pretty good about making suggestions of you need to figure out how to add a flavor or enhance certain characteristics.)

Old 12-13-2012, 01:06 AM   #3
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2711 Times on 1629 Posts
Likes Given: 3484

I just brewed what amounts to a dark chocolate and raspberry Belgian porter. Anything is possible, and probably tried already.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 12-13-2012, 01:07 AM   #4
GeorgiaTiger
Recipes 

Liked 73 Times on 43 Posts
Likes Given: 70

Not sure about it being a food brew, but now I want chocolate.

Allen
"Im an airlock sniffer...I sniff airlocks"
Primary 1: Empty
Primary 2 (LBK): Empty
On Deck - IPA of some sort
Bottled - Irish Red Ale
Wicked Gnome HomeBrewing

Old 12-13-2012, 01:13 AM   #5
RobertRGeorge
Recipes 

Liked 48 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 10

There are plenty of outrageous ideas being shared around this site, and yours are among the more conventional. I think I recall someone was going to make a meat pie beer, or maybe it was a mushroom soup beer, but anyway, let your creativity flow. You can always try one-gallon test batches so you don't commit a big amount of money to something that is less than stellar.

Here's a crazy one for you. How about Borkum Riff Cherry Cavendish Beer? Any one tried pipe tobacco beer? That sounds tremendously deranging.

Old 12-13-2012, 01:18 AM   #6
Airborneguy
Adjunct of the Law
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 836 Times on 619 Posts
Likes Given: 1103

My recommendation is to let him brew a few batches and learn the craft at least a little bit before you start trying this stuff out. It's easy to get excited, easy to make beer, but hard to make GOOD BEER and even harder to make GREAT beer.

JohnnyO Likes This 
Old 12-13-2012, 01:19 AM   #7
dadshomebrewing
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 103 Times on 70 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Yes, you are crazy... Does that help?

But we like crazy... Especially crazy that likes to enjoy this great hobby with us, and help us come up with particularly insane ideas for new brews.

Welcome

'Tis himself

In the fermenters: nada

In the bottle: nada

In the fridge(and the glass): nada

On Deck: anything i can think of

Old 12-13-2012, 01:21 AM   #8
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

Recipes 

Liked 2711 Times on 1629 Posts
Likes Given: 3484

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
My recommendation is to let him brew a few batches and learn the craft at least a little bit before you start trying this stuff out. It's easy to get excited, easy to make beer, but hard to make GOOD BEER and even harder to make GREAT beer.
This......

Learn the basics THEN when you understand what you're doing, especially what ingredients go best with each other...how to create a recipe, THEN start messing around. But I think it's a good idea to have a handle on things first.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 12-13-2012, 02:06 AM   #9
jonmohno
Recipes 

Liked 410 Times on 361 Posts
Likes Given: 1192

You could get lucky and have a good "experimental beer" but you should do a small batch,because if you (he) doesnt know some basic things that are needed for a good beer,then it may not turn out as exicting as it sounds. I did an experimental pumpkin on my 3rd batch, did my first 3 beers turn out great? Not really,at first. I actually really liked my last pumpkin bottle I had a year later-it took a while to become good. What I know now- compared to what I could have done then-is a pretty big difference. I spent months learning things before even beginning brewing also, a few simple things is all it took to overlook what I didnt know then, that could have made a difference. Did I make beer? Yes. Could I have made it better? Hell yes!

Old 12-13-2012, 10:50 AM   #10
BrewerBear
Recipes 

Liked 69 Times on 63 Posts
Likes Given: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
I just brewed what amounts to a dark chocolate and raspberry Belgian porter. Anything is possible, and probably tried already.
Have you posted this recipe or is it still in the experimental stages. I like the sounds of it.

I think Midwestsupplies sells a chocolate cover peanut kit.

Quick Reply