Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Am I clear to bottle

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-05-2012, 01:37 AM   #1
BluegrassBrewing
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 2

Default Am I clear to bottle

I brewed a batch of Midwest brewing pumpkin ale (sg 1.042) on 9/1. I took a gravity reading this afternoon 9/4 and got 1.010 which according to the kit is within the starting gravity range. Is fermentation finished and I can bottle 10 days earlier than the kit states? Or should I wait a few more days and if it is still 1.010 then bottle?

Primary: Pumpkin ale
Bottled: Honey Cream Ale
Planned: Marzan, Cider, Weisen

"Who cares how time advances? I am drinking ale today."
- Edgar Allan Poe

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-05-2012, 01:46 AM   #2
DrummerBoySeth
Recipes 

Liked 39 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 49

It is probably SAFE to bottle at 1.010, but I doubt that it is READY to bottle yet. Beer can safely be bottled as soon as the fermentation is complete, but that does not mean that you will have GOOD beer. If you give the yeast more time in contact with the beer after the active part of fermentation is over, then they will "clean up" after themselves. Essentially, this means that the yeast will continue to change the beer, reducing un-desired flavors. I recommend leaving beer in primary for at least 2 weeks (3 weeks is better) for the best results.

If you are in a hurry to bottle (I know how hard it can be to wait!), then check the gravity again in 2 days. if it is still 1.010, bottle it up! Just remember that the longer you can wait (within reason), the better your finished beer will taste!

"Give a man a beer, and he will waste an hour. Teach a man to brew, and he will waste a lifetime!" Bill Owen

Old 09-05-2012, 01:47 AM   #3
bschoenb
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 4

The Yeast might be done converting Sugar in alcohol in three days... But, they are not done. The Yeast still do allot of work with the Beer sitting on the yeast cake...

give it a three weeks in the Primary for the yeast to work, and let Beer Clarify.. then bottle

You will safe then: follow the 3/3 rule.. three weeks on the yeast; three weeks carbing up....

~ BIAB : All Grain Made Easy ; Mash, Sparge, Boil all in the same Kettle ~ all you need is a bag and a hook!

Old 09-05-2012, 01:48 AM   #4
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4381 Times on 3188 Posts
Likes Given: 854

Pumpkin ales have a lot of stuff floating around in suspension for quite a while. The bottles won't blow up if you bottle now, but if the beer isn't clear all the stuff that is in suspension will end up in your bottles.

It's better to wait 14-21 days (even longer if you can stand it) for a pumpkin ale to clear and have most of the crud fall out and then rack off of the trub into the bottling bucket so you have nice clear beer in the bottles.

Old 09-05-2012, 01:50 AM   #5
Uziyahu
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 23

I always wait at least two weeks before pulling a batch out of primary. It keeps me from being tempted to drink the bottled beer when it's still too young. The only way to be sure fermentation is done is to take a couple of SG readings over a few days. If it stays stable, it's done. If not, let it sit some more. Either way, I would wait another week or two at least before you bottle.

Old 09-05-2012, 02:53 AM   #6
BluegrassBrewing
Recipes 

Likes Given: 2

Sounds good I like the 3/3 rule. Seems easy to remember but until I get a little bit of stock it may be hard to follow. :-). appreciate the insight.

Primary: Pumpkin ale
Bottled: Honey Cream Ale
Planned: Marzan, Cider, Weisen

"Who cares how time advances? I am drinking ale today."
- Edgar Allan Poe

Quick Reply