The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Am I being paranoid?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-28-2010, 12:10 AM   #1
Mmenges
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Am I being paranoid?

I'm always thinking of what I can do better and I keep retracing the steps from my last batch. The fermenter had the smell of cascade hops from my previous batch even after I sanitized with Iodophor for one hour. This is only the second batch I've done in this ale pale. I'm hoping this won't cause an off taste but I have a feeling that if I could smell it, it's definitely going to carry over into the next batch. Is this normal and am I being paranoid or was I suppose to put some diluted bleach in the pale and let it soak. Thanks in advance for your advice.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-28-2010, 12:15 AM   #2
C2H5OH
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 2

If it's sanitary, it's all good. The worst that could happen is you'll have a custom house blend that is uniquely hopped.

With regards to paranoia,

what's that behind you?!!!

No, over there...

Yeah, behind the bush?

Old 01-28-2010, 12:18 AM   #3
cclloyd

Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 71

It's normal from my perspective - my primary bucket smells of past batches - it smells great!! As long as you are cleaning it after each use (sponge - no abrasives) and sanitizing properly it should last for quite some time. I have retired one that did eventually get some funk but it was after about 25 batches fermented in it and even then it was likely something I did or didn't do at the end of a long brew night that spoiled it.

Old 01-28-2010, 02:30 AM   #4
Grinder12000
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 2

You're all good. typical paranoia! I'm suffering a little now after 40+ batches. A stout is carbonated too fast so I'm concerned. Now it's a waiting game to see what happens in the next two weeks.

So you see - normal.

Grinders Island Brewery - Pipeline

Bottled! Award winning East India Porter, Oatmeal Stout, Milk Stout, Saison fermenting at 85 degrees as I type.

Quick Reply