Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Aluminum pot question

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-10-2010, 04:07 AM   #1
Chombo
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Aluminum pot question

hi, I have used an aluminum pot a few times and i find when i boil water, after it is finished boiling the water looks cloudy and milky, is this happening with other people aluminum pots? i have conditioned it and know there is an oxide layer which im not worried about but all the water i have boiled in stainless steel has been clear after i finish the boil. any experiences with this anyone?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-10-2010, 04:12 AM   #2
Travis31
Recipes 

This is why I don't use aluminum. Maybe i am just paranoid...
http://www.rense.com/general37/alum.htm

This is the main thing in the article that applys.

"Your choice of cookware is important. Glass and porcelain are relatively nonreactive with foods. Metal cookware does react with the acids in foods and the metal ions thereby released gain access to your body. In the case of copper, iron, and stainless steel cookware the metals are actually essential trace elements, and therefore make a valuable nutritional contribution if they are not absorbed in excess. Aluminum, on the other hand, not only has no recognized function in the body, but is toxic."

This is another reason they took cast aluminum skillets off the market.
Your choice, Id rather use the stainless steel personalty.

Last edited by Travis31; 06-10-2010 at 04:22 AM.

Old 06-10-2010, 05:44 AM   #3
mojotele
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I've never seen that with my aluminum pot. It's always just as clear as my stainless steel one.

Old 06-10-2010, 05:58 AM   #4
Chombo
Recipes 

Thanks for the info Travis, ill take that into consideration when upgrading equipment.

Mojotele, yea it happens with another aluminum pot i have aswell. I live in a big city, population 6 million, and we have a pretty good water treatment plant, i use plain old tap water. Could aluminum be reactive with other minerals?

Old 06-10-2010, 12:57 PM   #5
fatmoose
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis31 View Post
This is why I don't use aluminum. Maybe i am just paranoid...
http://www.rense.com/general37/alum.htm

This is the main thing in the article that applys.

"Your choice of cookware is important. Glass and porcelain are relatively nonreactive with foods. Metal cookware does react with the acids in foods and the metal ions thereby released gain access to your body. In the case of copper, iron, and stainless steel cookware the metals are actually essential trace elements, and therefore make a valuable nutritional contribution if they are not absorbed in excess. Aluminum, on the other hand, not only has no recognized function in the body, but is toxic."

This is another reason they took cast aluminum skillets off the market.
Your choice, Id rather use the stainless steel personalty.
Complete B.S., hocum, crap and misinformation. Any theoretical link between cooking in aluminum and Alzheimer's disease has been dismissed and the whole idea of "metal ions" being released into your body is only made more ludicrous by the statement that it's okay with some metals because they're nutritional. Stainless doesn't react, period, so that's just inaccurate. That's the value of using stainless in all manner of food preparation and storage. I'd rather brew in SS quite frankly and will likely go that route when I decide to upgrade to a bigger kettle but I feel perfectly safe brewing in my aluminum.

If you want to make an argument against aluminum try coming up with a better argument or at least get a better source to cite.

Old 06-10-2010, 01:13 PM   #6
fatmoose
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chombo View Post
Thanks for the info Travis, ill take that into consideration when upgrading equipment.

Mojotele, yea it happens with another aluminum pot i have aswell. I live in a big city, population 6 million, and we have a pretty good water treatment plant, i use plain old tap water. Could aluminum be reactive with other minerals?
I've seen this in mine, mostly when I was doing the initial boil to get that oxidation layer on there. I attributed it to our water, which is very hard. Your water treatment facility will make sure that your water is safe for drinking but it typically won't do anything about mineral content.

Old 06-10-2010, 01:17 PM   #7
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2733 Times on 1640 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

If this is going to become one of those superstition fueld Aluminum vs stainless threads, rather than playing along, just read the info in the STICKY which has dealt with this issue for a long time, and laid to rest a lot of the myths.

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f11/faq-...kettles-49449/

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 06-10-2010, 01:21 PM   #8
bmckee56
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

I have used a heavy gauge 10 gallon aluminum pot for a few years now and have had no issues with cloudy water or beer.

Salute!

On Tap #1 - East End Brew
On Tap #2 - Nada
On Tap #3 - Nuttin-Honey Ale
Fermenting - BMB's Cascading Citra Ale

Old 06-10-2010, 01:25 PM   #9
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2733 Times on 1640 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

It sounds like you haven't set your oxide layer too well yet. Maybe however you are cleaning it is removing it each time, or it could be a reaction to the minerals in your water. But it's not anything to worry about, if your finished product tastes fine.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 06-10-2010, 02:19 PM   #10
Captain_Bigelow
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Put the pot in the oven at 350 for 10 minutes or boil some water in it for an hour. That should help build up an oxide layer and you should be good to go.

Quick Reply