Originally Posted by chungking
I will check the thread. What does "pitted" mean? Thanks!
Just like it sounds. Things can eat their way into the material and take little pits out of it. Think rust on a steel. It can eat into it. After you clean it off you can have little holes or divots in what used to be a smooth surface.
That thread is long but there are lots of posts that can be skipped over because they are just ranting about the risk of AL which isn't proven. The summary is pretty good in the first post or the short blurb I wrote above. They basically said to just use a mild detergent to clean. No need to sanitize because you are going to boil the contents anyhow. As long as it is clean from chunks from your last brew you should be all set. Since you used Oxy on it you know it is clean. If they gray/brown coating is gone, reboil water. If it is still there you are likley fine. While it can be stripped away it either takes some elbow grease with a scratch pad or some stronger acid cleaners. If it is removed it isn't the end of the world. While I plan on going to SS, I am going to use my AL kettle for a while until I get set up for Keggles.