Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Aluminum brew kettle??

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-30-2007, 06:15 PM   #1
TWilson
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Aluminum brew kettle??

I have read some posts re: aluminum vs. stainless brew kettles. I have a question about using aluminum. What do I need to do to properly oxidize the aluminum kettle? I just bought a turkey frying kit and will have to use the burner for either my stainless or aluminum pots. I have a glass top range insert in my kitchen that is not wide enough to use either one. I would prefer to do a full boil, but my stainless pot is not large enough. Thanks in advance for the advice.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-30-2007, 06:34 PM   #2
bradsul
Flyfisherman/brewer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Just fill it up with water and boil it for an hour or two. That should pretty much take care of it. After doing that it should have a dull gray colour where the water was. Just take care when you clean you don't want to scrub that off.

Projects: Sylvania Kegerator Conversion, Tower Cooling, Grain Milling Station

Old 08-30-2007, 06:34 PM   #3
joshpooh
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I clicked to read this post because I thought there would be all the here we go with the aluminum Vs Stainless thing again. Many people on the forum get frustrated with this topic b.c it always comes up. The overwhelming majority of us on here say that SS is better, but Aluminum is ok. Some brewers say cooking in aluminum gives the beer off flavors, but there is no real evidence of this so it might be in their head. I have only used stainless, but that is b/c I bought a turkey fryer for turkeys and beer and certainly didn't wanna use the same pot for both and figured if I'm gonna buy another pot anyway I might as well spend a little more and get stainless. If I bought it only for beer I would probably just use the aluminum pot that comes with it.

Old 08-30-2007, 07:46 PM   #4
FlyGuy

Recipes 

Liked 127 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshpooh
The overwhelming majority of us on here say that SS is better, but Aluminum is ok.
Actually, I suspect this is not true. I think there could be a strong preference among homebrewers for SS over aluminum because people believe it is safer. But I doubt that many people have strong convictions that SS is actually significantly BETTER. Aside from being 'prettier', what significant advantage would a SS pot have over an aluminum pot for a home brewer? Personally, if you look at both types of pots, dollar-for-dollar, aluminum pots hold most of the significant advantages.

Old 08-30-2007, 07:51 PM   #5
brewt00l
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshpooh
The overwhelming majority of us on here say that SS is better, but Aluminum is ok.
really...is that so?

Quick Reply