Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Alton Brown - Homebrew - You Tube

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-04-2010, 02:49 PM   #51
Justibone
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 69

Quote:
Originally Posted by pavyaz19 View Post
what about putting the ice in the fermenter to cool the wort... is this okay to do? I'd never heard that before and I'm sick of waiting for my wort to cool. The immersion wort chiller I have is really getting annoying; doesn't work quickly enough for me.
Pre-chiller.

Run your hose (or an extra copper coil, if you happen to have one) through an ice water bath, either in your second sink, a big pot, or even a rubbermaid-type cooler. If you put a bunch of salt in the ice water, it will work even better, but it might affect your coil if it's sitting in ice water for long or often.

If you want to use only tap water to drop your temp, you will get it down to 90F in an acceptable time frame, but from there it takes forever. A pre-chiller is your answer.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-28-2012, 02:53 AM   #52
Airborneguy
Adjunct of the Law
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 838 Times on 621 Posts
Likes Given: 1105

THE episode is on right now (Cooking Channel).

My wife randomly put it on and I'm entranced now. Who did his research for him? This show is a disaster!

Old 01-28-2012, 03:17 AM   #53
johnsma22

Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 26 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
THE episode is on right now (Cooking Channel).

My wife randomly put it on and I'm entranced now. Who did his research for him? This show is a disaster!
Just watched it again myself! This has been beaten to death. Alton is responsible for inspiring me to brew, and I'm not alone. That being said, he had many things in that episode that were really off the mark. After seeing it for the first time I went online to research homebrewing for myself. I found the MoreBeer forum and there were several discussions on his faulty terminology and methods.

Obviously he wasn't mashing or sparging anything. He was steeping and straining. He also boiled the grains! Yuck! Just to name a few. All the discussions I found helped me to make his recipe, minus the glaring mistakes, and my first brew came out awesome! I'll be forever grateful to Alton for getting me started on this journey!

I've always hoped that Alton would get feedback on all the mistakes he made and decide to do another episode showing the correct methods. Maybe someday!

Old 01-28-2012, 03:27 AM   #54
mikeysab
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 28 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 485 Times on 381 Posts
Likes Given: 3

We should all email Food Network and ask them to do another home brewing episode. Tell them to read up on HBT first this time.

Mikeysab on untappd.

Old 01-28-2012, 03:29 AM   #55
JollyIsTheRoger
Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeysab
We should all email Food Network and ask them to do another home brewing episode. Tell them to read up on HBT first this time.
Except good eats isn't airing anymore.

Small homebrew facebook group for trading, advice, and general bragging. PM me if you join- http://www.facebook.com/groups/256122024462215/
One gallon brewing blog http://onegallonbrewing.blogspot.com/

Quick Reply