Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Alternatives To Bottling Buckets?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-20-2010, 02:55 PM   #1
ultravista
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 26

Default Alternatives To Bottling Buckets?

What are alternatives to bottling buckets? Is there an easier way, maybe out of the carboy or?

I've been thinking about using my stainless steel kettle (w/valve) instead of the bucket.

What is everyone else using?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-20-2010, 03:08 PM   #2
likwidbliss
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 2

A bottling container? A bottling bag?

spence

Old 11-20-2010, 03:12 PM   #3
KevinW
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

The kettle should do just fine.

You can siphon out of the fermentor but that could be a real PIA so I would not recommend it. I only use a bucket so I have a dedicated piece of equipment.

Good luck with whatever you decide on using and keep on brewing!

“I don't drink beer all the time but I can drink (a) beer anytime" - Me

Old 11-20-2010, 03:15 PM   #4
ReverseApacheMaster
Recipes 

Liked 228 Times on 191 Posts

The bottling bucket.

Old 11-20-2010, 03:17 PM   #5
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2711 Times on 1629 Posts
Likes Given: 3484

What's your beef with the bottling bucket???

The problem with bottling from a primary or secondary instead of using a bottling bucket, is that since you have patiently gone and let your beer settle and clear, in order to mix the priming solution and beer effectively, you would have to stir it in the carboy which would a) kick up all that nice sediment you have patiently let fall, b) possibly oxydize the beer.

It really defeats the purpose of both a long primary/no secondary or a secondary if you have to stir up all the nice sediment you patiently waited to settle just so you can have consistent carbonation.

Your kettle should be fine, BUT how much deadspace do you have in your kettle with you ball valve? Most folks who have kettles with false bottoms still leave a lot of wort behind it seems. Or esle they have to tip still to get the last out.

With my buttling bucket and my dip tube, I leave no more than about 3 ounces behind, which means I can get about 52 to 54 bottles per 5 gallon batch.

So what is wrong with using a dedicated bottling bucket? Go to a hardware store and get a translucent or white bucket...but look for one where the 5 gallon mark falls way below the top of the bucket. Usually it will say 5 gallons at 3rd band from the top. (oh get the lid too....I totally regret not getting it when I did.)

Then get a spigot and make a dedicated bottling bucket. It really defeats the purpose of both a long primary/no secondary or a secondary if you have to stir up all the nice sediment you patiently waited to settle just so you can have consistent carbonation.

Mine is the translucent Leaktite brand 5 gallon container with the gallon and liter markings from Homedepot.

Here's a pic of mine from my bottling thread.

One of my dip tubes and what gets left behind.

You'll find a ton of good info here to make bottling easier.

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f35/revv...herwise-94812/

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 11-20-2010, 03:22 PM   #6
iron_city_ap
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts

Whatever setup you end up using, I'm assuming a bottling wand will be involved. Try as hard as you can to set it up the way it is in Revvy's picture. It makes bottling much, much easier.

Old 11-20-2010, 04:21 PM   #7
djt17
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 36 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 349

I was ready to give up brewing becuase of bottling until I duplicated almost exactly Revvy's bottling process. It really isn't that bad now. (Although I am hoping Santa lets me buy a kegging setup this year)

Old 11-20-2010, 05:03 PM   #8
sportscrazed2
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

hey i have an idea could i put a spigot on my aluminum pot and siphon into that for use for bottling? i ask because I think it would be easier to sanitize the pot you just turn up the heat.

Old 11-20-2010, 06:19 PM   #9
iron_city_ap
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts

I don't really see why not. Just find a way to attach the bottling wand directly to the spigot. Just remove it before you go adding heat, obviously.

Old 11-20-2010, 10:03 PM   #10
akthor
Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 22 Posts

I syphon into a keg then use the bottling wand shoved into a picnic tap and pressurize the keg @ 7 - 12 psi (depends what it is) and fill bottles that way.

Quick Reply