Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Alternative Wort Chiller

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-23-2008, 07:49 PM   #1
bringitonhome
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Alternative Wort Chiller

Hi-
I have an noob question regarding wort chillers. When I was in college, we used to keep a keg tapped and pressurized, but warm. When used what was basically a cooler with a tap mounted on it to chill the beer. Inside was a long length of plastic tubing coiled up many times that beer would flow from the keg to the tap. When we wanted cold beer, we simply filled the cooler with ice and water, and as the beer flowed through it - ice cold w/o having to use a keggerator,etc. So naturally, I'm thinking "looks like i could chill wort this way also". Same basic concept as a counterflow chiller. I'm guessing that there is a good reason why this would not work, or it would already a be a well documented option . Wort wont get cool enough with 1 pass through the cooler? Plastic tubing leeches chemicals into wort?, etc?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-23-2008, 08:02 PM   #2
Dr_Deathweed

Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 3

You are talking about a jockey box. It would work, but I see it using A LOT of ice. I think it might be better to cool your wort partway first (like with an imersion chiller), then run it through something like what you mention.

I use somthing simalar with my CFC since my tap water is usually 80+. I just have about 10' of extra copper tubing after my CFC that sits in a bucket of ice to cool the already cooled wort down those last few degrees to pitching temp.

"Never ascribe to malice that which can be adequately explained by incompetence." - Napoleon Bonaparte
“An intelligent man is sometimes forced to be drunk to spend time with his fools.” - Ernest Hemingway

Fermentation CabinetAdding Faucets to a TowerDIY HopbackPortable Kegerator

Old 04-23-2008, 08:03 PM   #3
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1015 Times on 678 Posts
Likes Given: 28

What you were using was called a jockey box and it's more usually filled with copper or stainless coils for better heat transfer.

In terms of wort cooling, it would be called a hybrid chiller or sometimes called a reverse immersion. In any case, it has the same challenges as a CFC or plate chiller in that they have to be internally sanitized but the other problem is that you'll use a LOT of ice to chill a liquid from boiling temps.

Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

New Stuff?

Old 04-23-2008, 08:04 PM   #4
GilaMinumBeer
In yo' garage, steelin' yo parts.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 4822 Times on 4426 Posts
Likes Given: 59

You are referring to a jockey box.

The beer you are cooling is already room temp and needs at most (for lagers) a 24 degree change. Wort, on the other hand, needs double to triple that. The ice will go away very quickly using this method but a few do just that. Instead, they use buckets of ice.

IMO, plate chillers are king for the money and efficiency.

edit: Wow! 3 responses, simultaneously saying the same thing.

Old 04-23-2008, 08:04 PM   #5
Arneba28

Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 6

it probably wont get cool enough I tried this when I was doing partial boils with PM. I ran 10ft of hose from the kettle, started a syphon and ran that hose through my sink full of 33deg F water and into the fermenter. It got close to temp was was still in the 90s when it came out. but with topping off it brought it down to temp.

Old 04-23-2008, 11:02 PM   #6
Funkenjaeger

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

In theory, yes it will work. However, I think it'd be pretty impractical. You'd have to stir the ice water constantly to keep cold water in contact with the tubing. Plastic tubing would offer poor conductivity so you'd need a lot of it. Because of the large amount of heat you'd be removing, you'd need a LOT of ice water, and you would have to run the wort through it very slowly, which leaves more time for DMS issues in the wort that's still waiting in the hot kettle. Plus, the hot wort entering the inlet would probably damage the tubing for the first several feet until it cooled down enough later on.

I doubt you'd find it worth the hassle. Immersion chillers are kind of expensive due to copper costs, but will work a lot better and be less annoying to use.

Old 04-24-2008, 02:10 PM   #7
bringitonhome
Recipes 

Makes sense. thanks all!

Quick Reply