Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > alternative to wort chiller

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-04-2012, 08:29 PM   #21
justkev52
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 587

Default Use rice hulls!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double_D View Post
Gotcha. He doesn't use rice hulls in the batch. Must be more lucky than me. I like to throw some in when I do a batch with corn, I've had more than one stuck sparge because of the corn.
I'd use some rice hulls. Sounds sticky.
I just made a batch of cream ale with 2#'s of corn and 1 # of rice.
What a mess, even with the rice hulls. Use a pound

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-05-2012, 03:50 PM   #22
kurtism
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pabloj13 View Post
I just built mine recently and checked several plumber's supply shops in the area and they were about the same as HD and Lowe's. In some cases they were more. I don't think you're getting it for $15, unless you are really lucky or it is hot.
umm...we are getting off topic because even if the OP bought pipe at HD or Lowes, it would still be so very much cheaper than buying a premade one. a 3/8 in wort chiller at my LHBS in brooklyn is $60.

now...I think what you are all failing to realize is that CONTRACTORS do not shop at retail stores...they couldn't bid low and profit well if they paid HD or Lowes prices. My wife's family are all plumbing, roofing and painting contractors so I go where they go.

Next you guys are going to tell me that my fermenters are stolen too because I got my food grade buckets from a restaurant supplier for $10 a piece instead of paying $17 at the LHBS. The only thing "stolen" in my whole set up is my tygon tubing because i took that from my lab.

Too many brews...too few bottles!!!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply