Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Alternative to Muntons Ale Dry Yeast

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-23-2008, 11:31 PM   #1
bluedragoon85
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Alternative to Muntons Ale Dry Yeast

I was wondering if there is any good dry yeast that can work as an Alternative to the Muntons Ale Dry Yeast. I have had bad luck using this yeast as my two previous brews have stopped fermenting (as appears) and yet the beer hasn't achieved it's FG (even after several weeks). First it happened to me with my Double chocolate stout that stopped when it was 1.027 and I had to rouse the yeast to kind of get it going again. Now, my ESB has been a week in primary and it has stopped releasing CO2 from the airlock and the yeast has almost completely settled to the bottom and yet the gravity is at 1.020 and has to reach 1.015. I roused the yeast and will leave it a week longer to see what happens. So, I was wondering if there is any other good dry yeast that will work pretty good with English Ales such as with the ones I previously mentioned.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-23-2008, 11:35 PM   #2
Blender

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Sure there are fine alternatives. Lots of folks use Nottingham and Safale Brand dry yeasts with great results.These shoud be widely available at most HBS.

Gary

Old 04-23-2008, 11:35 PM   #3
HOOTER
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts

I've used either Nottingham or Safale US-05 dry ale yeasts so far and have had good luck with both.

Edit: You beat me to it Blender

On tap: Hefeweizen, Centennial Blonde
Up next: Quality Beverages

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homercidal View Post
Shorts Would Make Boners Obvious

Old 04-23-2008, 11:43 PM   #4
Chriso
Broken Robot Brewing Co.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 72 Times on 63 Posts
Likes Given: 127

US-05 is oriented towards primarily American beers - APA, Amber Ale, Cream Ale, dry Stout, hell I've used it for Porter and had great results. Gives a very clean ale taste, not a lot of "riff raff" contributed by way of estery flavors.

S-04 is oriented towards British styles - it makes a killer Bitter/ESB, Porter, Stout, English Pale, Hobgoblin, etc etc etc. The S-04 is fruitier tasting. But it's really good.

There's a wheat strain out there that I've not tried yet. There's also one that's rumored to be Belgian-ish. But not. But sorta. I still don't get the deal on that one. But overall, I love Fermentis (Safale) yeasts, and at $1.50-$2.00/pack, I keep 2 of each on hand in case of a stuck ferment or dead yeast or etc.

Nottingham is great stuff too!

Chriso || SMaSH Brewers, Unite! || Nebraska Brewers! || Lincoln Lagers Brew Club
"You have just experienced the paradigm shift that is....all grain brewing." - BierMuncher
dirtygreek Likes This 
Old 04-23-2008, 11:51 PM   #5
bluedragoon85
Recipes 

Thanks for the replies! Sounds like I should try both Nottingham and Safesale S-04 and see for myself

Has anyone else had any bad experience using Muntons Dry Ale Yeast? The only reason I have used it is because it was recomended for both does batches by AHS (I bough malt extract kits)

Old 04-23-2008, 11:55 PM   #6
Chriso
Broken Robot Brewing Co.

Recipes 

Liked 72 Times on 63 Posts
Likes Given: 127

Never even used the Muntons. I started with AG and didn't buy kits, I just started stockpiling random specialty grain. Now I have 60 lbs of random specialty grain sitting in my office. Oops.

I have a spare pack of Muntons that I plan to use someday.............. for making homemade pretzels.

Chriso || SMaSH Brewers, Unite! || Nebraska Brewers! || Lincoln Lagers Brew Club
"You have just experienced the paradigm shift that is....all grain brewing." - BierMuncher

Old 04-25-2008, 01:42 AM   #7
7Enigma
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Damnit! I just ordered the DCS from AHS with...you guessed it, Munton's yeast. I'm now regretting the decision based on a couple posts I've read on here about it not getting the job done.

Old 04-25-2008, 01:51 AM   #8
Nurmey
I love making Beer

Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedragoon85
Thanks for the replies! Sounds like I should try both Nottingham and Safesale S-04 and see for myself

Has anyone else had any bad experience using Muntons Dry Ale Yeast? The only reason I have used it is because it was recomended for both does batches by AHS (I bough malt extract kits)
I used it for 15 or so batches before I figured out I would never get my expected FG using it. I'm a slow learner apparently.

Old 04-25-2008, 11:03 AM   #9
videoman

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I used the Munton's a number of times.... FG was a little off most of the time, notorious slow starter, but it did a fair job....

But, the Nottingham and Safale products recommended above.... stellar yeast. Very active, FG quite often sightly below expectation which is a twist... right now I'm enjoying an ESB I brewed using S-04. I have to admit, it's getting rave reviews from my friends!

On Deck -
Drinking -

Old 04-25-2008, 11:10 AM   #10
7Enigma
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

So can you folks comment on which would be the better yeast for my Double Chocolate and Oatmeal Stouts? (Safale/Nottingham)

Quick Reply