Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Alternative methods to bottles and kegs

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-04-2009, 01:02 AM   #1
thrstyunderwater
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default Alternative methods to bottles and kegs

Shipping costs and space in my house ar big factors for me here on Hawaii. I've been told about something like a party pig. Basically some of a 2 gallon device that you can keep in your fridge and carbonate with co2. I figured this would be nice so I'd only have to bottle 3 gallons. Anyone know of something like this?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-04-2009, 03:02 AM   #2
mrk305
Beer Dude in the Sunset
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 22

I looked at party pigs. They use some kind of inflatable pouch inside to pressurize and dispense the beer. The pouches are kind of expensive.

If you don't drink much and are not worried about the expense they look okay.

Any advise offered after 10:00p.m. should be regarded as questionable
I can't brew until something is empty

Old 10-04-2009, 03:08 AM   #3
android
Recipes 

Liked 38 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 3

bottles don't really take up that much room. depending on how much you brew, you could have 2-4 sets of bottles (100-200 bottles), which you can cram into boxes well when not in use. you can just rotate the bottles between batches. you don't need all of them in the fridge at once, just cool down a 6/12 pack a night or two before drinking.

ebay temp controller | thermostat temp controller

Old 10-04-2009, 03:11 AM   #4
Shooter
Almaigan Brewing Co.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 231 Times on 179 Posts
Likes Given: 38

I would probably opt for a Tap-A-Draft over the Party Pig.

Old 10-04-2009, 03:17 AM   #5
JoeMama
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I opt for my belly to store my beer.

But yes, your best bet might be to collect bottles after you (or friends) drink the beer inside. Just make sure they are NOT twist offs! I know Ive been saving my empties (holidays are coming round and I know what Im giving this year!)
-Me

Ergo Bibo Sum - I drink, therefore I am.

Eggo Bibo Sum - I drink, therefore I waffle.

Old 10-04-2009, 03:24 AM   #6
Grinder12000
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I bottle and Party Pig (2.5 gallons). I love the pig! Portable, easy to use and better then kegging.

Grinders Island Brewery - Pipeline

Bottled! Award winning East India Porter, Oatmeal Stout, Milk Stout, Saison fermenting at a nice controlled 85 degrees (up from 70) as it should be - weird isn't it.

Old 10-04-2009, 12:34 PM   #7
BubbaK
Recipes 

To use this Party Pig, you dump uncarbed beer in it and it'll carb the beer and push it out? I see it uses that pressurized bag to get the beer out of the keg, but what carbonates the beer?

Kick The Can Brewery

Old 10-04-2009, 12:36 PM   #8
beretta
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

During the summer months when I'm more likely traveling around visiting friends on weekends, and generally drink a lot of beer, I'll use 1 gallon pesticide/fertalizer spayer. It comes with a handy "picnic" dispenser, fit easily in a medium sizes cooler full of ice, and has a built in pump, and the plastic is beer friendly (white HDPE). The downsides: sanitizing is a bit harder due to the pump, and the beer stales pretty fast (2-3 days) once you have to pump the keg. But, I find it pretty easy to drink a gallon of beer in a weekend, especially with some friends around.

If I could find a way to pressurize with some CO2, I'de be a happy (and cheap) camper!

Old 10-04-2009, 12:47 PM   #9
Zooom101
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by beretta View Post
During the summer months when I'm more likely traveling around visiting friends on weekends, and generally drink a lot of beer, I'll use 1 gallon pesticide/fertalizer spayer. It comes with a handy "picnic" dispenser, fit easily in a medium sizes cooler full of ice, and has a built in pump, and the plastic is beer friendly (white HDPE). The downsides: sanitizing is a bit harder due to the pump, and the beer stales pretty fast (2-3 days) once you have to pump the keg. But, I find it pretty easy to drink a gallon of beer in a weekend, especially with some friends around.

If I could find a way to pressurize with some CO2, I'de be a happy (and cheap) camper!

This is hilarious!!! I could just imagine you walking around with a pesticide container pumping and filling up a beer mug or just sticking the nozzle in your mouth. I would love to see the look on other peoples faces when they see you do this. Great ingenuity though.
Bottled/Kegged: Crappy Bock (my first brew!), IPA, Manny's Octoberfest, Paulaner Hefe-weizen clone (my first all-grain!), Ed's Honey Oatmeal Stout, Dos Equis clone, Pumpkin Spice Ale (my first ruined batch), American Red Ale, Angel Wings from BCS, Edworts Apfelwein, American Wheat from BCS,Terrapin Rye Pale Ale from CYBI, Munich Madness from BCS.

Quick Reply