Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Altering Recipe Kits

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-10-2008, 12:08 AM   #1
Unkle Danky
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Altering Recipe Kits

I want to buy the Chocolate Raspberry Stout from AHS but I want to alter it a bit and I'm just wondering how it might work.

I want to add oats to the steeping grains (I'm using the extract kit) to add some mouth feel. What would be a good amount to use?

Also I want to bump up the ABV and was thinking of using DME. The kit comes with LME. How much would adding DME change the flavor? I am shooting for a 2% boost in ABV.

You look like I need a drink
-----------------------------------------
Primary- AHS Double Chocolate Stout
Bottled- AHS Fat Tire Clone
Bottled- AHS Bavarian Hefe

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-10-2008, 01:46 AM   #2
BlackHat
Recipes 

I've used invert sugar in a chocolate stout before and it worked great as a gravity booster. It doesn't affect flavor very much and you can use a small amount to good effect. Lyle's Golden Syrup is a good example of this. Treacle, molasses, or honey can be used too, but these will have some influence on the flavor (which may be desirable!).

If you're going with DME, follow the calculations on []William's Brewing, Home Brewing Supplies, Winemaking Supplies, and Home Coffee Roasting. @ Williams Brewing (scroll down to 4.1) and use the lightest DME you can find. A stout - especially one such as a chocolate raspberry stout - will be forgiving of other minor flavors and may hide them entirely.

As for the oats... use something flaked for best results, like flaked barley. I've never seen more than a pound used in steeping with extract either.

But then again, it's homebrewing. Go crazy. Experiment. Don't be afraid to try something new! If you're not careful you might invent a truly amazing beer!

Bottle: Pumpkin Spice Ale, Autumn Bock, NG Belgian Red, Coopers Pale Ale, Pepsi Porter

Old 11-11-2008, 12:03 AM   #3
Unkle Danky
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Awesome.. thanks. Im off to order the goods.

You look like I need a drink
-----------------------------------------
Primary- AHS Double Chocolate Stout
Bottled- AHS Fat Tire Clone
Bottled- AHS Bavarian Hefe

Old 11-11-2008, 12:08 AM   #4
flyangler18
Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Have you brewed the kit recipe once? If not, I suggest that you brew it as written before starting to tweak it.

Quick Reply