New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Almost a blowout

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-12-2012, 02:44 AM   #1
sound-mind
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 2

Default Almost a blowout

I wanted to share pics of my first experiences bordering on a blowout. I have a derivative of yooper's Stone Ruination clone (extract) in primary. This is my first time using a 6 gal better bottle for primary. AC is on and I have it wrapped in a wet towel with a fan to drop it to a reasonable temperature. I saw a lot of activity when I got home from work today so I kept my eye on it. Caught it in what I believe to be just shy of a blowout later in the evening. It had pushed up the airlock top and was running down the fermenter.

Quickly read some posts here, checked youtube, and pinged a friend (manicmethod) to confirm the need for a blowoff. Got it setup and ready to go in what I can only assume was the nick of time - touching the airlock to remove it resulted in a spray. Thankfully this part of my basement is unfinished.

Things seem to be good now but quick question - some of the posts I've read allude to a smaller blowoff tube. I grabbed the first one that tightly fit, sanitized it, and crammed it on to the interior tube of a 3-piece airlock. Other research indicates a larger tube should be used to ensure it doesn't get clogged.

Should I seek a smaller tube? What is the benefit of a smaller tube in this case?

Finally, is using the inside of a 3-piece airlock worse than connecting it directly to the grommet?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-12-2012, 06:13 AM   #2
Screech
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I have done the same thing as you by connecting the hose to the inside of the airlock. It's 1/2" ID so it is pretty small. It worked on my second batch, but my third batch got clogged up and blew everywhere. So basically you are taking a risk. I am going to buy a bigger blow off tube before I start my next brew.

Kevin

Primary: Victory Hop Devil IPA

Bottled: Delirium Tremens

Bottled: Black Dog Ale
sound-mind Likes This 
Old 06-13-2012, 12:03 AM   #3
sound-mind
Recipes 

Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Screech View Post
I am going to buy a bigger blow off tube before I start my next brew.
Any ideas on the ID or how you plan on connecting it to the fermenter?

Old 06-13-2012, 05:22 AM   #4
Screech
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I prob. wouldn't worry about it too much for the batch you are fermenting now. Just keep an eye on it. I noticed alot of people just used a hose and attached it straight to the carboy. If you are using a bucket, you'll have to drill a bigger hole in the lid, then get a bigger grommet and bigger tube.

Primary: Victory Hop Devil IPA

Bottled: Delirium Tremens

Bottled: Black Dog Ale

Old 06-13-2012, 06:04 AM   #5
Dawnhulio
Recipes 

Liked 38 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Screech View Post
I prob. wouldn't worry about it too much for the batch you are fermenting now. Just keep an eye on it. I noticed alot of people just used a hose and attached it straight to the carboy. If you are using a bucket, you'll have to drill a bigger hole in the lid, then get a bigger grommet and bigger tube.

Last few brews I've used this set-up on with an active fermentation have worked out well. Bought the tubing at Home Desperate vs. paying LHBS prices for it, much cheaper in most cases.

sound-mind Likes This 

Quick Reply