New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > all out of PBW...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-03-2012, 07:47 PM   #11
malevolent
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I've left oxyclean in my betterbottles for days at a time and never had any residue issues. Just rinse after and youll be all good.

Primary: nothing :(
Secondary: nothing :(
Long Aging: Flanders Red (to be bottled this summer)

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-03-2012, 09:41 PM   #12
h4mmy86
Recipes 

Liked 40 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Got some oxiclean free in a 3 lb tub!
...So one full scoop for my 6 gallon carboy? I looked at the scoop, its blue and divided into quarters. A full scoop seems like a lot (but what do I know)

Old 05-03-2012, 10:38 PM   #13
h4mmy86
Recipes 

Okay, so I've got it soaking with half a scoop... here goes nothing!

Old 05-04-2012, 12:41 AM   #14
h4mmy86
Recipes 

....half of a scoop doesn't seem to be all that effective so far, but it has done a little good. I'm thinking of dumping this and refilling, then adding a full scoop.

Any input on your own dilution ratio is greatly appreciated!

Old 05-04-2012, 02:24 PM   #15
h4mmy86
Recipes 

Alright guys, its been soaking over night and when I got up and looked at it today I was sorta disappointed. I grabbed it by the neck and started turning it around to check the other side, and in turning it around alot of the stuck on sediment broke loose! The stuff is actually working alright. There are still a couple of spots, but it has knock out 95% of the mess.

...I like PBW better. Does this seem about average?? 6 gallons, half a scoop, takes 24 hours if not a little longer to clean?

I'm also worried about where it evaporated down a little bit, I don't see any residue and I'm trying to keep it topped off as to not give residue a chance to take hold!

Old 05-04-2012, 02:28 PM   #16
Brewnoob1
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 8

I use a full scoop in my 6.5 gallon carboy. I let it soak overnight or even days/weeks at a time without any issues. I use a brush for the SUPER stubborn spots. But, for the price and availability, can't complain much!

Keg #1: Empty :(
Keg #2: Empty :(
Kegs 3-5: Empty :(

Ferment #1: Empty :(
Ferment #2: Empty :(
Ferment #3: Empty :(

On Deck: Something....Anything!!!

Old 05-04-2012, 02:41 PM   #17
nutty_gnome
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 43 Times on 36 Posts
Likes Given: 12

I use oxyclean free from walmart for like 8 bucks per 3 pounds. I let stuff soak for weeks at a time because the filled carboys are safely stored out of the way and I'm too lazy to bother emptying them just to continue to store them empty. When I need them, I dump the old oxyclean solution down the drain, rinse with fresh water, and then use the standard starsan solution to get that soapy feeling off the plastic or glass. Starsan as an acid will rip through that slippery, soapy feeling. It will also sanitize. The carboy or bucket is now ready for use!

N_G
It could be worse.

Old 05-04-2012, 03:59 PM   #18
jamboparty
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by nutty_gnome View Post
I use oxyclean free from walmart for like 8 bucks per 3 pounds. I let stuff soak for weeks at a time because the filled carboys are safely stored out of the way and I'm too lazy to bother emptying them just to continue to store them empty. When I need them, I dump the old oxyclean solution down the drain, rinse with fresh water, and then use the standard starsan solution to get that soapy feeling off the plastic or glass. Starsan as an acid will rip through that slippery, soapy feeling. It will also sanitize. The carboy or bucket is now ready for use!
I follow pretty much the same procedure. In my experiences, the OxyClean doesn't work quite as well as PBW (I typically end up filling/soaking twice with OxyClean), but using a bit more to achieve the same results is still less expensive than buying PBW.

I'd probably be able to get away with only one soak if I used a bit more OxyClean the first time around. I'll give it a try next time.

Old 05-04-2012, 04:48 PM   #19
h4mmy86
Recipes 

I wish I had posted some pics of the carboy before and after. It really wasn't all that messy to begin with, and its almost completely clean now. I'm thinking of dumping it and refilling with a new batch of oxi solution. There is a chance the glugging of the bubbles might be enough to break the last bit of grime loose if I play my cards right...

Old 05-04-2012, 04:59 PM   #20
buffalobrewer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 6

try dumping about 1/2 the carboy out, insert a clean sock and swish it around to get the rest of the residue loose. Dump the rest and pull the sock out. That usually works for me on the tough stuff.

You start with a full bag of luck and a empty bag of experience, your goal is to fill the bag of experience before you empty your bag of luck

h4mmy86 Likes This 

Quick Reply