Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Are all non-twist bottles safe for bottling?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-13-2012, 01:00 AM   #1
Han_Solo
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Are all non-twist bottles safe for bottling?

I know that some bottles can handle the pressure that comes with bottling and some can't. Is it safe to assume all non-twist off bottles can be used for a home brew?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-13-2012, 01:06 AM   #2
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2774 Times on 1659 Posts
Likes Given: 3486

If they're beer bottles, yes. There's an industry rated standard volume of co2 that all beer bottles have to be rated at, and it is higher than the 2-2.5 volumes of co2 that we typically bottle are beers at. Obviously when bottling higher carbed beers like belgians, you want to use belgian beer bottles or champagne bottles. Though folks have been known to bottle beers around 3 volumes in standard bottles. IIRC the industry standard volume is 3.2 on normal beer bottles. But don't quote me on that.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 05-13-2012, 01:09 AM   #3
grimzella
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 46

well you can assume that.. but i bought 24 bottles from my LHBS and they are VERY thin.. even thinner than sam adams. I use them .. but i am very careful when i handle them.. i wrap a cloth around it everytime i pick one up. i wont waste another 12.99 for bottles again, i will now just buy beer with pry-off tops and enjoy some beer while collecting homebrew bottles at the same time. Duvel has nice dark Thick bottles.. chimay's are pretty thick also. Mostly this is what i have.. roughly 100 - 110 bottles... o yea and 24 of the paper thin LHBS bottles.

Oh yea,, and 24 Grolsch bottles.

Old 05-13-2012, 01:13 AM   #4
WesleyS
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2766 Times on 1803 Posts
Likes Given: 359

I found out the hard way that some bottles can't be reused. I ended up with a case of beer from real ale brewing. Didn't like the beer so I dumped it all and washed and used them for a batch that was ready to bottle. I did nothing I haven't always done and yet every bottle is cracking at the top when I start to remove the cap. I've never had that happen before. I'm just throwing away the remaining unused bottles.

Long story short, Beer.

Old 05-13-2012, 02:05 AM   #5
McGarnigle
Recipes 

Liked 43 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 35

Some Europeans bottles don't really fit the caps well.

Old 05-13-2012, 02:13 AM   #6
gts001
Recipes 

you can feel the differance in weight between good bottles and the thinner weaker bottles I have also found that lighter thinner bottles also break alot easier if you drop them

Old 05-13-2012, 06:18 AM   #7
jbsg02
Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 19

Some bottles don't work well with my capper, like Pilsner Urquell bottles. There is a lip near the mouth that causes my capper to slip off.

Old 05-13-2012, 07:19 PM   #8
bighorn_brew
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 22

The Old Foghorn bottles from Anchor brewing co. We're noticeably thinner and when I capped a few the top just disintegrated in the capper.....moral: look for the heavier gauge bottles.

Old 05-13-2012, 07:33 PM   #9
unionrdr
Wannabe author
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2259 Times on 1968 Posts
Likes Given: 1697

Thought it might be a good thing to post the bottles I've been using once again;
Paulaner
Franziskaner
DFH
Sierra Nevada
Lexington Brewing (Kentucky bourbon barrel ale)
Sam Adams
Great Lakes brewing
Left Hand Brewing
Harpoon
I'm sure there are more that can be re-used safely. But I know these are good. Never broke any,except for the Sierra Nevada stubbies...two bottles I think. But I may have gorilla'd those with the capper.
The German bottles seem to carb the best with their longer,narrower neck. I noticed the Bud Light Platinum bottles have that same neck style. Too bad they're twist-offs.
neosapien Likes This 
Old 05-13-2012, 08:06 PM   #10
BW210
Recipes 

I really like the Fat Tire & Sierra Nevada bottles. In fact just bottled 10 gal of a SNPA clone. We also have a local brewery, Back Road Brewery, that uses very heavy, thick rimmed bottles. Great beer also, but I think they use super glue and vinyl for labels.

Quick Reply

Newest Threads

LATEST SPONSOR DEALS