Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > ALL my brews taste the same

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-05-2008, 03:50 AM   #1
brian kay
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default ALL my brews taste the same

My first brew was Like S?x in a bottle i loved it, But i have brewed 3 other batches and they all taste the same (S%?t).i did a cyder and it has the same smell and a bit of the same taste as my beers.is this my water supply or is it the fact i'm adding Muntons light spraymalt to my brews they have all been kits and all the dates are good so nothing is out of date. i'm planing on 4 new brews 3 of them will be from tins and 1 will be extract so i want to solve this problem. P>S i clean my gear a lot so it's not that.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-05-2008, 03:56 AM   #2
Arneba28

Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 6

I am willing to take a stab and say its your water...or dare I say extract twang. I never knew what this was till I started to do PM batches and could seriously taste that there was less twang per say with every bottle.

Old 05-05-2008, 04:57 AM   #3
scinerd3000
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 29

old yeast maybe?

Old 05-05-2008, 05:04 AM   #4
brian kay
Recipes 

3 different kits so i don't know if it's the yeast

Old 05-05-2008, 08:02 AM   #5
Choguy03
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I think the kits you are buying might have something to do with it. Granted I am very new at this, actually boiling my first extract right now, but I think buying extract and the grain separately may help. But the water may be a problem too, I bought six gallons of distilled water from the store to brew with. (hope mine turns out ok!?!?!)

Old 05-05-2008, 09:50 AM   #6
EdWort
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 265 Times on 138 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Are you using bleach to sanitize?

Old 05-05-2008, 11:47 AM   #7
zacster
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 21 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdWort View Post
Are you using bleach to sanitize?
I've always used bleach to do my brewing and I've noticed a taste that is always there myself. I wouldn't recognize it as bleach, but maybe. My last batch I used Starsan, and it is still in the secondary, so maybe I did myself a favor.

For the OP, the other thing I'd say is that you are using the same malt extract, so I'd expect similar tastes. If you are doing extract brew, try ordering from one of the suppliers that does their own extracts, Northern or Morebeer. It is fresher than the canned stuff.

I had some home brew at a demo a few days ago, and the guy was doing all grain brew. It was eye opening how much better it was. He brought 3 types in bottles and none of them had that 'home brew' taste that even my good batches have.

Old 05-05-2008, 12:32 PM   #8
brauhaus

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I'd clean out your equipment and take some time to really let them soak in cleaner to get out the fowl tastes, I'm not sure if this would help, but what about a "dry run"? (meaning: why not boil plain water a few times to try to boil out the stank).

Best of luck.

Fire/EMS of HBT.com

Old 05-05-2008, 11:41 PM   #9
idolcarazy
Recipes 

It always is water. Water even makes pizza taste different

Old 05-06-2008, 12:05 AM   #10
beerme70
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

I've been extract brewing for quite some time now, and have brewed everything from plain old amber ale, to hefeweizen, to porter, to stout. I brewed in my last house, and in the new house as well, and the water different, and all my brews have their own distinct flavors. With that being said, there is a somewhat familiar taste to all the beers. I have never heard of the term "extract twang" until I started coming to this forum. I have never even seen it in any of the books that I've read. But what I have read is that it is not uncommon to impart "house flavors" in your beers. If you sanitize with the same thing (i.e. bleach), or follow a specific ritual when you clean your equipment or when you're brewing, then that could part of your problem, if that's what you want to call it. I mean if the beer is good...
I am kinduf curious though, that when I get my AG setup ready to go (hopfully within the next month or so) to see how much different AG is to extract brews.

WWJB? (What Would Jesus Brew?)
Bottled: Liberty Oatmeal Stout, Keg #1: empty, Keg #2: empty
Fixin' to Brew: Bunker Hill Blonde Ale

Quick Reply