Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > All my beers are too thick & rich

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-23-2012, 02:32 AM   #41
Cheepbeer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 66

OK I did the Newcastle recipe that Yooper suggested to me... all went without a hitch the instructions were perfect. It's all in the fermenter... I warmed up the yeast. I cooled the wort in a cold water sink with ice... I followed the instructions to a tee. About 3 hours worth of work if you count the cleaning and sanitizing. My hydrometer readings were 1.040 - 5.3% - 40brix whatever that may mean (Im still learning)... the brew smelled nice.

Thanks Yooper.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-23-2012, 02:41 AM   #42
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4343 Times on 3158 Posts
Likes Given: 845

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheepbeer View Post
OK I did the Newcastle recipe that Yooper suggested to me... all went without a hitch the instructions were perfect. It's all in the fermenter... I warmed up the yeast. I cooled the wort in a cold water sink with ice... I followed the instructions to a tee. About 3 hours worth of work if you count the cleaning and sanitizing. My hydrometer readings were 1.040 - 5.3% - 40brix whatever that may mean (Im still learning)... the brew smelled nice.

Thanks Yooper.
Great! Keep it cool (try for 65 degrees or so), and then bottle it in a couple of weeks. I'm a little concerned about what you mean by "warmed up the yeast", though!

Old 09-23-2012, 03:22 AM   #43
Cheepbeer
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I put the yeast in 4 oz lukewarm water like it said on packet????? 15 minutes before intro to wort????? It was magical! (really started off foaming)

Temp in bucket is 66 degrees. its pretty cool in my basement now that summer is over.

Is getting the yeast hydrated a waste of time? I wonder. In the past I have just tossed it in dry. This time i stirred in the foamy 4 oz of hydrated yeast. Hope I did right.

I did not aerate the wort too vigorously because the directions did not say to.... I did stir very well though.

There is still time to shake it up a lot if you think I should???

Old 09-23-2012, 01:37 PM   #44
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Quote:
I put the yeast in 4 oz lukewarm water like it said on packet????? 15 minutes before intro to wort????? It was magical! (really started off foaming)

Temp in bucket is 66 degrees. its pretty cool in my basement now that summer is over.

Is getting the yeast hydrated a waste of time? I wonder. In the past I have just tossed it in dry. This time i stirred in the foamy 4 oz of hydrated yeast. Hope I did right.

I did not aerate the wort too vigorously because the directions did not say to.... I did stir very well though.

There is still time to shake it up a lot if you think I should???
It's good. Keep it at 65 degrees or lower, and let it sit for 10 days.

Old 09-23-2012, 03:07 PM   #45
jbaysurfer
Former future HOF Brewer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 422 Times on 320 Posts
Likes Given: 668

Quote:
Originally Posted by nutty_gnome View Post
This thread title totally sounds like a first world problem!

http://therealfirstworldproblems.tumblr.com/
OMG, you read my mind. EXACTLY what I was thinking when I read the thread title, and seriously considered adding that response myself. LOL!

First Brew was thanksgiving 2011, I'm at 93 batches and counting (as of 8/17/2014), and ran out of room in my signature to list them all.

Old 09-23-2012, 03:38 PM   #46
Cheepbeer
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Haha the thread title may be a bit misleading... I did not mention it was thick, rich, and tasted like crap.

Well last night my kids felt a little "Chilly" so they turned the baseboard heater on downstairs and forgot to turn it off...
Making the room and my wort 74 degrees. probably for about 8 hours straight... Im cooling it down now. Hopefully no real damage done.
65 is a hard temp to maintain in my house.

Old 09-23-2012, 03:42 PM   #47
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Haha the thread title may be a bit misleading... I did not mention it was thick, rich, and tasted like crap.

Well last night my kids felt a little "Chilly" so they turned the baseboard heater on downstairs and forgot to turn it off...
Making the room and my wort 74 degrees. probably for about 8 hours straight... Im cooling it down now. Hopefully no real damage done.
65 is a hard temp to maintain in my house.
Well, what's done is done. But I didn't mean 65 for a room temperature, I meant 65 for fermentation temperature. Often, fermentation produces heat and so the fermenting beer is typically 5-10 degrees warmer than the ambient temperature.

It might help keep the temperature more constant if you put the fermenter in a water bath, that way room temperature changes wouldn't really change the temperature of the beer too much, as it would take a long long time for 5 gallons of beer, plus 5 gallons of water surrounding it, to change temperature.

Old 09-23-2012, 03:50 PM   #48
Cheepbeer
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper View Post
Well, what's done is done. But I didn't mean 65 for a room temperature, I meant 65 for fermentation temperature. Often, fermentation produces heat and so the fermenting beer is typically 5-10 degrees warmer than the ambient temperature.

It might help keep the temperature more constant if you put the fermenter in a water bath, that way room temperature changes wouldn't really change the temperature of the beer too much, as it would take a long long time for 5 gallons of beer, plus 5 gallons of water surrounding it, to change temperature.
Understood about frementation temp... I put it in a large tub of cold water and its dropping now. Scolded the kids. lol. Thermometer on bucket is now 68. All is well and Im going to leave it in cool water tub.

Old 09-26-2012, 01:17 AM   #49
Cheepbeer
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Ice daily in tub to keep at 65 degrees. Winter may be easier for brewing.

Old 10-03-2012, 01:48 AM   #50
Cheepbeer
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

quickly and cleanly extracted a sip... Malty... seems like it needs more hops. Can I add hops this late in the game?

Quick Reply