Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > All my beers are too thick & rich

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-16-2012, 02:28 AM   #21
Cheepbeer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 66

6.5% ABV At 85% efficiency on beer alchemy... I used Danstar Windsor yeast.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-16-2012, 02:30 AM   #22
Cheepbeer
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonmohno View Post
See what happens if you age it. With the corn sugar I bet it drys up more.It seems to me it does that at first though dryer/weirder when i use sugar then it balances out better with age. Although I notice often it seems I can also get a dryer more refined beer upon ageing also. So..... it just depends,all else fails let it age.
Yes. This was after all an experiment in simplicity geared to make a hi abv beer that tasted good.

Old 09-16-2012, 02:30 AM   #23
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4483 Times on 3261 Posts
Likes Given: 870

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheepbeer View Post
6.5% ABV At 85% efficiency on beer alchemy... I used Danstar Windsor yeast.
"Efficiency" should be 100 on extract beers. There isn't any "efficiency" to worry about in extract batches.

The recipe is dreadful, but if you have a drinkable beer as a result anyway that's great news. For the next beer, you could try a real recipe and make a beer by design and it would be very good.

Old 09-16-2012, 02:33 AM   #24
Cheepbeer
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by FATC1TY View Post
I'd disagree. It's a bunch of random extract, a bag of corn sugar, and 1oz of EKG. Sounds like a random recipe created to make yellow fizzy bush beer.

Hence, the fact the guy is having issues with some taste, because the recipe is tossed together.
Would prefer a yellow fizzy... this one is dark, strong, and malty sweet. Yeah it was a random recipe.

Old 09-16-2012, 02:39 AM   #25
Cheepbeer
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper View Post
"Efficiency" should be 100 on extract beers. There isn't any "efficiency" to worry about in extract batches.

The recipe is dreadful, but if you have a drinkable beer as a result anyway that's great news. For the next beer, you could try a real recipe and make a beer by design and it would be very good.

I would welcome a simple recipe suggestion for a 5 gallon batch that tastes like newcastle ale! I'll do it next! Now that I have about 3 cases of marginal stuff aging that I can booze with I will be extra patient now that I've had some practice.

Old 09-16-2012, 02:41 AM   #26
jonmohno
Recipes 

Liked 410 Times on 361 Posts
Likes Given: 1193

This thread is all over the place. what was your finish? this doesnt sound terrible and is still beer.Ambers can be malty.But I agree more hops is the call,still I see it more like a scotch ale or someting almost. Think he meant 85% attenuation?

Old 09-16-2012, 02:46 AM   #27
jammin
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 192 Times on 152 Posts
Likes Given: 129

Hi Cheepbeer,

One piece of advice I would like to lend to you: Use a hydrometer for starting gravity and finishing gravity. Take notes on this and it will give you great insight into how dry or sweet you like your beer.

For future brews, you can add corn sugar/dextrose to help the beer finish a little more crisp and dry. Malt extract doesn't have the best attenuation (how much of it ferments) so by itself, it can finish sweeter.

As Yooper mentioned, search for some recipes of beer styles you like. You are sure to find one that has been brewed several times so you can read feedback on it.

If you are enjoying the recipe you mentioned, you have a lot of amazing homebrew to look forward to!

Old 09-16-2012, 02:51 AM   #28
Sir Humpsalot
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 81 Times on 65 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Windsor yeast is a low attenuator. You should have used Nottingham or US-05 for better attenuation in a higher ABV beer such as this.

The recipe isn't as bad as some folks make it out to be. But it is a little light in the bittering hops. .75 ounce @60, and a quarter at 15 would have brought you a more balanced beer as well. Using an extra ounce for extra late additions would have helped even more.

Cheepbeer Likes This 
Old 09-16-2012, 03:00 AM   #29
Cheepbeer
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonmohno View Post
This thread is all over the place. what was your finish? this doesnt sound terrible and is still beer.Ambers can be malty.But I agree more hops is the call,still I see it more like a scotch ale or someting almost. Think he meant 85% attenuation?
Its not terrible and it has not aged yet, I do think more hops are needed. I used 1/2 oz in the beginning and finished with 1/2 oz hops. (boiled it all in 1 3/4 gallons) cooled it real fast in sink of ice and 1 gallon cool water. into primary, aerated vigorously and tossed 1 bag of windsor that came with premier malt.

My beginning reading was 1.50 and ended at 1.010

Old 09-16-2012, 03:04 AM   #30
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4483 Times on 3261 Posts
Likes Given: 870

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheepbeer View Post
I would welcome a simple recipe suggestion for a 5 gallon batch that tastes like newcastle ale! I'll do it next! Now that I have about 3 cases of marginal stuff aging that I can booze with I will be extra patient now that I've had some practice.
This tastes quite a bit like Newcastle:

3.3 LBS Amber LME
2 LBS Amber DME
8 oz Crystal 60L (crushed)

1 oz Williamette (60 minutes)
1/2 oz Williamette (5 minutes)

Yeast: dry nottingham

Pour two gallons water into brewpot and bring to approx 155 degrees. Steep grains (in a grain bag) 20 minutes, dunking grains like a tea bag. Remove grains and allow to drain without squeezing when finished. Discard the grains.

Heat the brewpot to boiling. Remove from heat and add malt extract. Stir until dissolved. Bring back to a boil and add bittering hops. Boil 55 minutes, then add finishing hops. Boil 5 minutes. Remove from heat and cool rapidly to 70 degrees by using a wort chiller or an ice bath. When cool, put contents into a large fermenter. Fill with cool water until the 5 gallon mark is reached. Using a hydrometer, take an og reading. Sprinkle the yeast in, stir, and secure the lid and airlock. Keep at 68 degrees, or under, if possible.

Bottle after at least two weeks, and a f.g. of 1.012 or less.
Cheepbeer Likes This 

Quick Reply