Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > all malt extract brew

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-29-2009, 01:56 AM   #1
rflinn68
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default all malt extract brew

I got a really good deal from coopers on the IPA and Irish Stout ($12.99) and the Light Malt Extract ($7.99).

I was wondering if anybody has tried the ipa or stout with just the LME. If so, please give reply on how it turned out. I do have a little dry malt extract (500g) and a kg of dextrose but was wondering how this would turn out.

Last edited by rflinn68; 01-29-2009 at 02:09 AM.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-29-2009, 02:27 AM   #2
Parker36
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 4

It would work out ok. You are planning on using hops, correct? Also look into 1-1.5 lbs of steeping grains and you can make a very good beer with extract

Old 01-29-2009, 02:30 AM   #3
Pogo
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I've yet to try Coopers, but I've begun diddling around with another LME kit.

I've got one 5 gallon batch going right now, but it'll be another month before I'll be able to give a report on anything.

I'm using one 2.2 pound (1 Kilo) can of Light Premier Malt Extract (hopped LME), no sugar, and two pounds of Muntons Extra Light DME, plus the Lager yeast that came with the kit (I KNOW...!?!).

Next week I'm intending to start another 5 gallon batch using ONLY water, two cans of the Premier LME, and yeast!

If anyone has done this, or any other kind of variations, before...I'd be interested to hear how things turned out.

Pogo

Old 01-29-2009, 02:38 AM   #4
rflinn68
Recipes 

I wasnt going to use any extra hops, just the 3.75 lb can (hopped) of Irish Stout or IPA with the 3.3 lb can of the Light UME. Will this make a decent brew?

Old 01-29-2009, 02:49 AM   #5
Nurmey
I love making Beer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 6

We made canned stouts a couple of times that turned out pretty good. I was disappointed using dextrose with the cans but using malt (liquid or dry) works well. The canned kits, IMO, are not the best but they make ok beer and it's a good way to get started. What is your level of brewing experience?

Make your kits and have fun! Welcome to HBT!

Old 01-29-2009, 01:19 PM   #6
rflinn68
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nurmey View Post
We made canned stouts a couple of times that turned out pretty good. I was disappointed using dextrose with the cans but using malt (liquid or dry) works well. The canned kits, IMO, are not the best but they make ok beer and it's a good way to get started. What is your level of brewing experience?

Make your kits and have fun! Welcome to HBT!
I've just started brewing beer a few months ago with the mr beer system and now I'm starting to experiment with the coopers. I like it so well I've already stepped up and bought a twin faucet kegerator system. Thanks for the welcome.

Old 01-29-2009, 02:50 PM   #7
kenstogie
Recipes 

Likes Given: 10

I have brewed two batches that are just the canned extract (munton's Imperial Stout) and they have turned out pretty good. Not that I am a drunk but the ABV was a little low. It was recommended by the LHBS that I use malt instead of Dextrose but I didn't.

They totally need some time. Drinking a new one is no good but one that's a few months old ....

Last edited by kenstogie; 01-29-2009 at 08:12 PM.

Old 01-29-2009, 05:36 PM   #8
mlanoue
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

As long as both cans are fresh, you will make perfectly fine beer.

Canned kits are kind of like frozen pizza. They're not top of the line, but sometimes they really can hit the spot and they're pretty easy to make.

Old 01-29-2009, 08:14 PM   #9
kenstogie
Recipes 

Likes Given: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlanoue View Post
As long as both cans are fresh, you will make perfectly fine beer.

Canned kits are kind of like frozen pizza. They're not top of the line, but sometimes they really can hit the spot and they're pretty easy to make.
They still seem to be as good as most of the microbrew stuff at the bev center, except the really good stuff. JMHO of course.

Old 01-30-2009, 01:12 AM   #10
mlanoue
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Yep, I have no qualms with a good canned kit. It's quick and easy and still better than most of the junk out there.

It makes brewing still possible when you have toddlers roaming around.

Quick Reply