Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > All Grain - What to do when overshooting preboil volume?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-19-2013, 05:05 PM   #1
brevity
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default All Grain - What to do when overshooting preboil volume?

I'm not talking about multiple gallons or anything. But lets say after my sparge I get an extra .5 gallons of wort in my kettle. Can I simply start my boil, let it boil down to my target preboil volume and then proceed with my first hop addition and 60 minute boil timer? Aside from darkening my beer, is there any problem with this?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-19-2013, 05:07 PM   #2
mdgagne
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 15 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by brevity View Post
I'm not talking about multiple gallons or anything. But lets say after my sparge I get an extra .5 gallons of wort in my kettle. Can I simply start my boil, let it boil down to my target preboil volume and then proceed with my first hop addition and 60 minute boil timer? Aside from darkening my beer, is there any problem with this?
Yep. If you know your boil-off rate you can estimate the extra time needed to boil-off your excess volume pretty accurately.

Old 03-19-2013, 05:19 PM   #3
DPBISME
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 66 Times on 56 Posts
Likes Given: 76

I had a real bad problem my first "Triple" and had 3 or 4 gallons to many... (I was new to all-grain and went all-out)...

I set up a second pot and boiled both until I hit my volume.

As stated it really did change the color and if i screwed up that bad again I would go pour in some Dark Belgian Syrup and turn it in to a Strong Ale...

BUT half a gallon? I would taste it and see if it is sweet... if so reduce it on the stove and add it later... if not toss it.... since there is probably not enough sugar in it to bother with...

Old 03-19-2013, 05:29 PM   #4
iBrewR
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Can I simply start my boil, let it boil down to my target preboil volume and then proceed with my first hop addition and 60 minute boil timer?
Depends on the pre boil gravity.
Old 03-19-2013, 07:15 PM   #5
rklinck
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 66 Times on 55 Posts
Likes Given: 49

Quote:
With .5 gallons I would not worry about it. Plus, do you have your boil off rate that locked in that you can be precise?

Also, why did you keep running off into the kettle? Easier to simply leave some of the sparge water in the mash tun. Then if you find out that you are boiling off more than expected, you can add some of the remaining water to the boil.

Old 03-19-2013, 07:31 PM   #6
mudarra
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 13

It depends on if I hit my preboil gravity.

If I did, then I change nothing, and make extra beer.

If my preboil gravity is too low, I extend the boil off rate to reach my anticipated OG. I have slight variations in boil off rate, so I have a range I'm shooting for. So if its just a little off, I let it ride.

If my preboil gravity is too high, I can add water to to adjust, then do my normal boil. And make extra beer.

So basically, I use preboil gravity, and anticipated OG to determine what I do with my boil.

Larry

Old 03-20-2013, 04:46 AM   #7
brevity
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Thank you all very much for the info.

Quick Reply