Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > All Grain water volume question?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-19-2010, 03:23 AM   #1
vegas20s
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Default All Grain water volume question?

I live in an apartment. I REALLY want to go to whole grain.
Lets say I want to mash 10lbs of malt. I would need 3 to 4 gallons of water. I could to this with 2 pots. Then if I build a luater tun I could use this to mash in.
What I'm not getting is the sparging part. John Palmers HOW TO BREW says to use 1.5 times water to sparge. So wouldn't I end up with 9 to 10 gallons of wort? What am I missing here? Am I going to let that much boil off?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-19-2010, 03:57 AM   #2
billvon
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegas20s View Post
So wouldn't I end up with 9 to 10 gallons of wort?
No, a lot of it ends up 'stuck' in the grain; it depends on how you sparge. I generally have to use about 8-9 gallons of water to end up with 6 gallons of wort.

Old 08-19-2010, 04:07 AM   #3
vegas20s
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

So I could use a two 3 gallon pots with a lauter tun to do all grain.

Old 08-19-2010, 04:14 AM   #4
OHIOSTEVE
Recipes 

Liked 52 Times on 49 Posts
Likes Given: 26

Quote:
I live in an apartment. I REALLY want to go to whole grain.
Lets say I want to mash 10lbs of malt. I would need 3 to 4 gallons of water. I could to this with 2 pots. Then if I build a luater tun I could use this to mash in.
What I'm not getting is the sparging part. John Palmers HOW TO BREW says to use 1.5 times water to sparge. So wouldn't I end up with 9 to 10 gallons of wort? What am I missing here? Am I going to let that much boil off?

Easiest way imo is 1.25 gallons per pound of grain in the mash. I would figure on your stove a gallon an hour boil off per pot (gotta do a boil to be sure) so for a 5 gallon batch you need to start with 7 gallons in the boil pots. Do your mash and then drain and vorlouf and measure your volume from the first runnings. Subtract that volume from the 7 gallons and the difference is your sparge volume. I split that in half and do two sparges ( I get better efficiency)

ORRRRRR you can read DEATHBREWERS easy stove top brewing thread ( stickied) and it will step by step you through brewing on your stove top.
BALDGUT BREWS

Old 08-19-2010, 04:15 AM   #5
OHIOSTEVE
Recipes 

Liked 52 Times on 49 Posts
Likes Given: 26

Quote:
you would have to use top off water but yes I have done it. the 6 gallons in 2 -3 gallon pots won't allow for any room to actually boil.
BALDGUT BREWS

Old 08-19-2010, 04:38 AM   #6
billvon
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
I guess. Boiling 3 gallons in a 3 gallon pot is a little exciting, and if you do them sequentially, one pot will be high gravity and one will be low gravity; that makes calculation of hop utilization a bit more tricky.

You can get an 8 gallon aluminum pot from Wal-Mart for about $25; might save you some headaches (and a lot of cleaning up.)

http://www.walmart.com/ip/TAMALE-SEAFOOD-STMR/13370045

Old 08-19-2010, 05:51 AM   #7
vegas20s
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

They are like 3.5 gallons but I was figuring they would boil 3 gallons max. I'm thinking a cheap pot sounds real helpful though.

Old 08-19-2010, 02:38 PM   #8
nebben
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by OHIOSTEVE View Post
Easiest way imo is 1.25 gallons per pound of grain in the mash. I would figure on your stove a gallon an hour boil off per pot (gotta do a boil to be sure) so for a 5 gallon batch you need to start with 7 gallons in the boil pots. Do your mash and then drain and vorlouf and measure your volume from the first runnings. Subtract that volume from the 7 gallons and the difference is your sparge volume. I split that in half and do two sparges ( I get better efficiency)....
That all sounds about right, but I think you may have meant 1.25Q instead of 1.25G per pound of grain. Otherwise, that's a lot of boiling to evaporate all that water

Old 08-19-2010, 03:19 PM   #9
Justibone
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 69

Quote:
Originally Posted by billvon View Post
You can get an 8 gallon aluminum pot from Wal-Mart for about $25; might save you some headaches (and a lot of cleaning up.)

http://www.walmart.com/ip/TAMALE-SEAFOOD-STMR/13370045
A lot of stoves can't heat a really large quantity of water. Unless your pot can somehow utilize more than one burner for heat (not practical on most stoves, unless the pot is a MONSTER) then you will likely have problems heating more than about 5 gallons to a boil.

Wrapping aluminum foil around the pot kind of helped me a bit on my last boil... but I don't think it would have helped enough to make 8 gallons very practical.

If you want to brew inside, why not just brew smaller batches?
Cuinrearview's Gumballhead-Inspired WPA
Pelikan's John's Red English Barleywine

Old 08-19-2010, 03:48 PM   #10
billvon
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justibone View Post
A lot of stoves can't heat a really large quantity of water. Unless your pot can somehow utilize more than one burner for heat (not practical on most stoves, unless the pot is a MONSTER) then you will likely have problems heating more than about 5 gallons to a boil.
The Wal-Mart pot is a monster. It covers two of my burners at once. (One of the reasons I bought two of em.)

Quick Reply