New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > All grain volume question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-03-2013, 11:15 PM   #1
mikeljcarr
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default All grain volume question

I did my first all grain brew yesterday. For the first time I thought it would be best to try one of the Northern Brew, brew in a bag kits. I started with the 5.5 gals that the directions said I should. After I mashed it said I would have about 4 gals of wort but I had around 4.75 gals. After the end of the boil I should have had 3 gals but I ended up with slightly less than 4 gals. OG was supposed to be 1.066 and I had about 1.068 (conversion from brix reading of 16.7). Any ideas about what I did wrong and what impact this might have on the beer?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-03-2013, 11:26 PM   #2
GilSwillBasementBrews
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 108 Times on 93 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Looks ok to me. It seems you just got better efficiency than whoever wrote the original recipe. Otherwise you would of had a lower OG with the larger volume. Don't worry nothing wrong you just made more beer than they did. Now the hard part. Waiting.... Start planning/brewing your next batch. Once your pipeline is full the wait isn't as noticeable.

Beer Plus Science = .....Good!!!!! By: Adam Savage

Old 02-03-2013, 11:32 PM   #3
norsk
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 44 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 43

Different crushes and different grains used on different systems absorb varying amounts of water. Since your amount of wort pre and post boil were both high perhaps your system/pot/kettle loses less water through boil off than others. That you still ended up with a 1.068 with about 4 gallons is a good thing. A .002 give or take is WNL of variances... and not a big deal. Kits are rarely spot on, fortunately yours erred on the plus side. Sounds like you did a good job. Should be a good tasting beer...

veteransforpeace.org

VALHALLA BREWERY

Old 02-04-2013, 12:23 AM   #4
BigFloyd
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 567 Times on 500 Posts
Likes Given: 500

Like you, I did my first AG batch yesterday (with a mash/lauter tun).

I fretted about efficiency, but my local AG mentor said that if I end up with the volume of wort that I was supposed to have at the target OG, life is good. I did (actually a little higher) and I'm happy. Looking forward to doing it again.

Congrats.

Quick Reply