Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > All-Grain tips

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-02-2013, 07:59 PM   #1
DiscipleofDionysus
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Default All-Grain tips

Hey all, a bit new to brewing (getting ready for my second brew in fact) and I was hoping I could get some pointers for an all grain brew. I got ingredients already for a Milk Stout and just had some questions before I got started. Do I need a blow-off tube? What's the easiest/optimal way to mash? How can I slap together a mash tun? Thanks, any help is appreciated. Amazing how quickly this has become such a strong passion for me

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-02-2013, 08:06 PM   #2
chumpsteak
Recipes 

Liked 93 Times on 78 Posts
Likes Given: 12

I would suggest you take advantage of the incredible amount of knowledge in threads and stickies on this forum and spend hours upon hours reading before you attempt all grain.

Old 01-02-2013, 08:14 PM   #3
Conan
Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Take a look at some of the Stickies on the All Grain/ PM subforum. Did you purchase a kit or individual ingredients based on a recipe?
A blow-off tube isn't really dependent upon the sugar conversion process (extract, PM, AG), but rather the yeast, fermentation vessel size, and overall vigorousity of the fermentation. As for your tun, again to the AG subforum. Many choices here: round or square cooler, keggle, manifold (copper or CPVC) or stainless steel braid, direct-fire or not. A good thermometer, I use a dairy them, to accurately hit your strike and mash temps is critical to obtain the mouthfeel you're after.
Do you want to batch or fly sparge? That question really helps guide the rest of your decisions with regards to mash paraphernalia. Good luck! Kyle

Old 01-02-2013, 08:18 PM   #4
duboman
Recipes 

Liked 471 Times on 437 Posts
Likes Given: 210

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiscipleofDionysus
Hey all, a bit new to brewing (getting ready for my second brew in fact) and I was hoping I could get some pointers for an all grain brew. I got ingredients already for a Milk Stout and just had some questions before I got started. Do I need a blow-off tube? What's the easiest/optimal way to mash? How can I slap together a mash tun? Thanks, any help is appreciated. Amazing how quickly this has become such a strong passion for me
Unfortunately all your questions would require hours to answer, fortunately they've all been answered countless time but it will take some effort on your part to do some searching

Take advantage of each threads search function as well as Google, you will find 9 out of 10 times google turns up a thread from this site first.

The DIY section will get you your mash tun, blow off tubes are always a great idea unless you enjoy cleaning krausen off the ceiling, and you can also look up fly and batch sparging methods.

First I would suggest you read palmer's "How to Brew" cover to cover as well as the stickies at the top of each forum

The Commune Brewing Company-Perfecting the "art" of beer since 2010

Old 01-02-2013, 08:47 PM   #5
microbusbrewery
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 87 Times on 67 Posts
Likes Given: 44

+1 what others are saying. Check out some home brewing books and search the forum.

You might want to consider trying the brew in a bag method (BIAB). Like all-grain, you'll have a little more control than with extract brewing, but you won't have to worry about building a mash tun.

If you're set on putting together an AG system. The DIY and Equipment/Sanitation sections contain tons of info on building equipment.

Old 01-02-2013, 08:56 PM   #6
cluckk
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 347 Times on 226 Posts
Likes Given: 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiscipleofDionysus View Post
I understand those who seem to be giving the "Read the Manual" type answers and they are right, however,...

You never realize you needed a blowoff hose until there is foam blown all over the nice carpet/vinyl/wood floor in the room where you ferment. You can start without one, but it is a good protection. I now start all fermentations with a blowoff and switch to a bubbler after the most vigorous time is over.

The easiest way to mash is Brew in a Bag, in which you do not use a lauter tun, but simply mash your grains inside a grain bag and lift it from the mash tun to drain the wort from the grains (do not confuse this with steeping grains). I've never used it but there are a ton of videos and guides to help.

The easiest way to make a MLT is to convert a cooler with one of the ball cock assemblies available some place like Northern Brewer. Then just add a Bazooka screen to the inside and your set. I have this set up with a ten gallon cooler and have used it for 18 pounds of grain in one mash. I'm getting ready to do one with it that will be over 20 pounds of grain and it should work without any problems.

There you go, and it didn't take much time.

Old 01-02-2013, 09:02 PM   #7
kh54s10
Recipes 

Liked 608 Times on 515 Posts
Likes Given: 164

As to the blow off tube. You don't need to use one if you don't mind washing krausen off your ceiling.

Always start every fermentation with a blowoff tube and you will save yourself the trouble.

As to the rest. As others have stated the answers are not that simple. You need to do some research and decide what will work for the type of brewing you will want to do.

Old 01-02-2013, 10:25 PM   #8
DiscipleofDionysus
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Thanks everybody, realized about the other section and the stickies right after I posted, doh Good info!

Old 01-02-2013, 10:36 PM   #9
msa8967
mickaweapon
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 72 Times on 59 Posts
Likes Given: 76

If you have never done an all grain batch before I strongly recommend trying a brew in a bag session first. It is very straight forward.

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f36/biab...g-pics-233289/

Mick Arnett
North Liberty, Iowa
"Beer will change the world. I don't know how, but it will."

Quick Reply