All grain rodeo

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oogaboogachiefwalkingdeer

Reaction score
My first all grain brew today was like a wild bull riding event. Used theall grain IPA from homebrew shop. Pre heated cooler with hot water while heating 3 1/2 gallons to 170 for the mash in. Temp dropped to 146 so boiled more water and added to get 154. Rested 90 minutes and temp was 150. I did the batch sparge and collected 6/34 gallons of wort for the boil. Boiled 90 minutes and added the hopps at the specified intervals along with the moss. Cooled and transferred to fermenter and was a gallon shy of the 5.5 I was expecting. Added more cooled down boiled water and checked gravity. Gravity read 1050. I re hydrated the yeast in water that was too hot and think I may have killed it. I had a liquid smack pack for my Bass recipe so I smacked it and pitched. I started this about Two yesterday afternoon and pitched the yeast at around nine last night. This morning the airlock sits quiet and still. I am sitting patiently waiting for it to awaken. One thing I really enjoyed about the brew day was the fact I actually had a home brew bottled that I could sample while brewing. It is my very first brew, a honey wheat. I fermented three weeks bottled and it is only 10 days in the bottle. Carbed up real nice and ended up knocking eight of them down. It tasted good.

Back