New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermeneter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Is all grain really THIS easy?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-22-2009, 08:11 PM   #21
Laughing_Gnome_Invisible
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 462 Times on 357 Posts
Likes Given: 63

Quote:
Originally Posted by YooperBrew View Post

For safety's sake, you want to be able to chill in the same place you brew. You don't want to carry about 5 gallons of boiling wort- you risk burns and a hurt back!
10 out of 10 for this point. Wort is boiling AND sticky. I don't want to be any part of a thread that leads to someone getting anything important burned off in a seriously painful way.

Back to the brewcasts, I was watching one once where the guy tipped his 10 gallons of wort over, and had to sacrifice his hands to keep the rest of his body out of the boiling wort on the floor.

I can still hear his screams.

Does this dress make my willy look big? ~ Ben Franklin

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-22-2009, 08:21 PM   #22
petep1980

Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Reading is intimidating. Eventually you just have to do it. I did and it was simple. I didn't wrap up the cooler like I should have, but I will next time.

Yes, moving 5+ gallons of 210° wort is stupid. You want to add wort chiller to it, and just keep it in the same place. I'm not sure how he got it into his basement sink. I brew in garage. Also, add wort chiller with 10 minutes left in boil to sanitize it. The "first runnings" out of the chiller will kill grass too so I collect it in a kettle and pour it over stubborn weeds.

Last edited by petep1980; 06-22-2009 at 08:24 PM.

Old 06-22-2009, 08:33 PM   #23
petep1980

Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Also pencil in about a 4-hour window for this type of brew.

Old 06-22-2009, 08:46 PM   #24
MgMt_Home_Brew
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richie View Post
Great video. It certainly makes everything a lot easier to understand. I think I will continue with extract for a while though. All of that extra equipment (bigger pots, cooler, wort chiller etc) just seems to cost too much.
Just keep in might what direction you want to go with your brewing setup and keep your eyes open for good deals along with way. I find that piecing it together over time can save a lot of money.

Old 06-23-2009, 01:21 AM   #25
HorribleCatfish
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I didn't watch the video, but after going AG around February, I look back now and wonder why I was so intimidated about it. Once you figure out how your MLT handles water temps, it's a breeze.

Tonight I'm getting brave and trying something just for the hell of it. I have a 3 gallon carboy just hanging around, so decided to take some more runnings from the Brown Ale I brewed, and see what I get. I have a feeling it won't be very good...but not much of a loss if it sucks.

Old 06-23-2009, 03:04 AM   #26
bsruther
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Listermann's is a great HBS. Good luck with your first AG. I hope to be doing the same soon.

Old 06-23-2009, 12:09 PM   #27
Baldy_Beer_Brewery
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 11

I've not watched these videos, but yes AG is that easy. There are many things that make it sound difficult. But when you actually do it, it isn't that bad.

As was mentioned earlier, start with a single infusion mash. Protein rests, mash outs and all that have a place but your first AG will likely go smoother if you just try to hit that one temperature.

Of course Palmer has already been mentioned in this thread. If you do read his text on AG, keep in mind that a recipe with modern two row grains for most of the fermentables and the single infusion mash makes the chemistry lesson and analogy about the family cleaning the yard a waste of reading.

Stuck sparge. Sounds like a show stopper doesn't it? Although you've read about them, they won't happen as long as you research out how to make your equipment and use it. If you do have a stuck sparge, they can be fixed easily from information on this site.

The way people tend to debate batch sparging and fly sparging makes it sound cornfusing too. Neither method is that overly difficult.

Efficiency? Another thing that you read about here every day. It is important to understand and determine what yours is, but you won't know what it is until you start brewing AG. Don't let worries about efficiency stop you.

The youtube videos are all over the place. The more of them you watch, the more you will see that many people do things differently. It is the same way that the more you read this forum you find that people don't all do things the same way. Watch some more, read some more and try to determine what you feel most comfortable with.

Good luck and have fun with this hobby.

Old 06-23-2009, 12:15 PM   #28
Orfy
For the love of beer!

Recipes 

Liked 64 Times on 50 Posts
Likes Given: 30

Pencil 4 hours but allow 6.....

No point in presurising your self with time restraints on yor first brews.

A nice relaxed day with no young kids around is best.

Old 06-23-2009, 11:02 PM   #29
scopey
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeJet View Post
Tonight I'm getting brave and trying something just for the hell of it. I have a 3 gallon carboy just hanging around, so decided to take some more runnings from the Brown Ale I brewed, and see what I get. I have a feeling it won't be very good...but not much of a loss if it sucks.
An interesting practice. I guess you've already heard of so called "small beer", which, according to Anchor Brewing Co. has been around for thousands of years:
Anchor Steam - Anchor Small Beer

Maybe the trick is to start with something fairly strong (e.g. barleywine). My recollection of Anchor's Small Beer is that it was light & bubbly, but good--not to be confused with fizzy yellow beer.

Old 06-24-2009, 02:21 AM   #30
Irie5447
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Yeah it takes me four hours and I have many all grain batches under my belt and thats being super efficient in my process. From start to after clean up it will probably be more like 6-8 hrs for your first all grain brew. Do a search on youtube for all grain brewing, Chris Knight has a series of all grain videos from start to finish. These videos are priceless and got me into all grain. Heres a link

Quick Reply