Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Is all grain really THIS easy?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-22-2009, 01:59 PM   #11
VTBrewer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

On the recipe...I'd drop your pilsen by a pound and add another pound of wheat. The kolsch my friends love is 7 pilsen, 2 light wheat, .75 dark munich, .25 melanoidin/crystal 10.

I would definitely look at using a wyeats's kolsch yeast instead of the safeale though.

Recipes And Blogs: ClubHomeBrew

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-22-2009, 02:09 PM   #12
Laughing_Gnome_Invisible
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 554 Times on 421 Posts
Likes Given: 76

It wasn't a video that persuaded me to switch to AG. It was a brewcast. For a few months I had been reading on this forum about AG, and I had been blinded by all the super-duper shiny equipment with all the bells and whistles and naked lady dancers. I had assumed that it would not be possible with a couple of largish pots and the will to brew.

One day I watched Soperbrew doing an all gran batch on fairly basic equipment. I had no idea it could be so easy! I thought hey! If Soperbrew can do it with a lot of hope and a piece of string, then so could I!! Let's face it, I am WAY smarter than Soper, and I play better brewing music than him too!

So yeah, that video is great for it's simplicity. If you have any lingering doubts, keep your eyes peeled for a brewcast. They get posted on this forum from time to time. If you see one, take a gander. They are both fun and rewarding. And you get to ask questions!

Old 06-22-2009, 04:11 PM   #13
Joos
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 7 Posts

+10000 on the kolsch yeast.using the safeale you just going to get a generic version.like harpoon summer beer.

Old 06-22-2009, 04:51 PM   #14
Kpetersen
Recipes 

That is a great video, thanks for posting it. I think our next brew is going to be all grain.

Old 06-22-2009, 05:09 PM   #15
Scut_Monkey
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 13 Posts

I have been doing all-grain batches after two extract batches and I'm glad I made the switch. I think the physical action of doing AG batches is relatively straight forward and not too much additional work is needed compared to extract. However, a lot of people make is seem overly easy and therefore mislead people. What I mean by this is that while the work involved is relatively the same the troubleshooting that comes with AG batches increases a good bit. Most people that have done AG will say it's easy because they have worked out most all the flaws to their technique and have gotten to a point where they do certain procedures without thinking either because of repitition or after learning what they were doing wrong to begin with. I have only done 5 AG batches and I am kind of to the point where I feel my effeciency is good and I understand WHY I am doing certain things during the procedure.

Basically what I am saying is that although AG seems easy on paper, it can open up your brewing to more trouble shooting. I personally am not an expert at the procedure but I do know enough to appreciate the fact that I prefer AG to extract. However, by not being an expert yet I can see how AG can require you to troubleshoot much more.

Don't let me deter you from converting to AG just understand that it's not always as easy as Hot water + Grain + Time = Wort. But the benefits are well worth the extra trouble.

Old 06-22-2009, 08:04 PM   #17
BillTheSlink
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quick questions,

What exactly is that big kettle he is cooking in and where does one get one?

Drinking: Ed Worts Apfelwein, Store bought Bass, Salvator. Can't brew in Winter and I needed bottles.

Primary: Bass Clone Austin Home Brew Supply
Went down in a blaze of glory due to mold infection.

ON DECK: Moosebutt Faux Lager

Old 06-22-2009, 08:20 PM   #18
MMW
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Looks like a pretty standard BAP (big a$$ pot) to me...available lots of places from $20 for a 32 qt Al pot to north of $200 for a very nice stainless multiply pot. (I'm working in a $20 Al pot right now ).

This one would be on my list if I were considering an upgrade.

Old 06-22-2009, 08:46 PM   #19
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4954 Times on 3588 Posts
Likes Given: 1002

I've been using an aluminum 28 quart "turkey fryer" pot and burner. Well, actually, I've never used the burner because I've been brewing indoors on my stove for the entire time. But, I have the burner and I'll maybe use it sometime when I brew outside. Anyway, that turkey fryer set up was around $45 at Cabela's or somewhere.

There are many kinds of brewkettles- as the previous poster said, you can use an el cheapo (but be careful because you don't want to burn on the bottom) or a $300 Blichmann and you'll get the same results.

A couple of important things- if you're making a full batch of 5 gallons, you need to find a way to chill it. With an extract batch, we often top up with cold water and/or use an ice bath. That works great for that type of set up, but it takes a very, very long time for 5 gallons of boiling wort to chill to pitching temps without a wort chiller. Before I had a chiller, I split the boil into two pots, and put both into an ice bath in the sink. That worked ok, but still took longer than I wanted it to.

For safety's sake, you want to be able to chill in the same place you brew. You don't want to carry about 5 gallons of boiling wort- you risk burns and a hurt back!

Find me on facebook: Lorena Evans
But I'm pretty boring so don't expect much!
https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans

Old 06-22-2009, 09:03 PM   #20
Captain_Bigelow
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Great video. It certainly makes everything a lot easier to understand. I think I will continue with extract for a while though. All of that extra equipment (bigger pots, cooler, wort chiller etc) just seems to cost too much.

Quick Reply