Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Is all grain really THIS easy?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-22-2009, 08:39 AM   #1
BillTheSlink
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Is all grain really THIS easy?

I am going to the local home brew store (Listermann's) to get their extract Trappest Abby Ale kit and my first all grain recipe which I copied from somewhere.

This fellow has a video on you tube:

where he has made a lautertun from a cooler for under 22 bucks from plastic tubing and a braided toilet supple line. Planes are here: Cheap and Easy Mash Tun

Questions about the video: He just dumps his whole lot of sparg water onto the bed. I thought you had to do this pretty gently and slowly. I was going to buy the Phil's lautertun which has a two bucket system linked by a sparg arm, but if this will work then I think I am good to go.

http://www.listermann.com/PDF/Phils_Lauter_Tun.pdf

OK now, What do you think of this Kolesch recipe:
9 lbs. German Pilsen
1 lbs. Weyermann Pale Wheat

1 oz. Tradition pellets (60 min)
1 oz. Hallertau Select whole (30 min)

Safale US-05.

Of course I'll add some rice hulls and Irish Moss

I will not be able to give it a cold Lagering, but my issue of "Brew" says not to worry. True?

Bill

Ps: sorry I didn't mean to embed the video, just copy the link. I hope it's alright.

Drinking: Ed Worts Apfelwein, Store bought Bass, Salvator. Can't brew in Winter and I needed bottles.

Primary: Bass Clone Austin Home Brew Supply
Went down in a blaze of glory due to mold infection.

ON DECK: Moosebutt Faux Lager

Reason: Added PS after seeing spost.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-22-2009, 12:15 PM   #2
adfirmus
Recipes 

Wow, that's by far the simplest and easy seeming all grain brewing video I've ever seen. I haven't ventured into all-grain yet, but that made it seem a lot less intimidating. What the hell am I doing steeping a couple of pounds of grains for an hour just to add extract.

Is it really this simple?

In the mail: AHS Sierra Nevada Wheat clone
Fermenting: None yet!
Bottled and conditioning: MW Belgian Wit, BM's Extract Centennial Blonde, Haus Pale Ale

Old 06-22-2009, 12:15 PM   #3
yeasty
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

i just did my first AG batch and found the process to be easy enough. i hit my temps and had no stuck sparge. i need to refine my water quantities tho...ended up with too much.

Old 06-22-2009, 12:18 PM   #4
Orfy
For the love of beer!
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 69 Times on 52 Posts
Likes Given: 30

Can't see the vid (at work)

It sounds like he's batch sparging. Batch sparging got a lot of people making the jump because it's easy and quick.

The main thing is to do a dry run on paper and understand the calculations and figures. When you have it right in your head it should be good for real.

Old 06-22-2009, 12:45 PM   #5
sethful
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

honestly, you can make the process and easy or as complex as you want. The basic process is pretty easy. Check out Palmer's site and steps.. granted it isn't a video and you may have to read a bit: How to Brew - By John Palmer - The Methods of Mashing

Start with a single rest mash and don't try anything too fancy at the begining to try and get a feel for it.

~Seth

Accidentally Good Brewing
Bloomington, IL

Old 06-22-2009, 01:22 PM   #6
Laughing_Gnome_Invisible
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 543 Times on 415 Posts
Likes Given: 76

That is an excellent video in many respects. Yes, it really is that easy! Obviously there are some things you need to find out for yourself, like water temps and water volumes, but you can find all that on brewing software and online calculators.

I think that for anyone feeling intimidated by making the jump from extract to AG, this this video is great for demystifying the process. He said he made the video for extract brewers who might want to make the jump, and IMO he did a very good job.

Old 06-22-2009, 01:26 PM   #7
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4785 Times on 3480 Posts
Likes Given: 956

Yep, that's about it. I only do a couple of things differently- one is that I add the grain a little at a time and stir well instead of adding it all at once. I found that when I added it all it once, I had big almost cooked doughballs that were a bugger to break up. So, I add the grain while stirring. Also, instead of one addition of sparge water, I often break it into two additions and don't bother with the mash-out. It's a little better efffiency for me.

Otherwise, yep. That's all there is to it! Pick your mash temp and thickness based on the style of beer you're making. 153 is a good temp for most styles, if you're not sure. Add hotter strike water to the MLT (to preheat it- believe me, it'll suck out about 8 degrees!) and let it drop to your strike temp (usually about 10 degrees warmer than your mash temp). So, I'd add 170 degree water and let it drop to 163 over about 10 minutes or so and then add the grain to hit my mash temp.

For the first time, keep some extra hot water handy, just in case you miss the temp. BUT....... wait a bit. Stir it well, give it a couple of minutes to equalize, then check the temp in about 4 different places. If it's too cold, you can add some boiling water to bring it up. Just do it slowly, and give it time to change temps. So many people on their first attempt add boiling water, don't wait a minute, and it's too hot so they add cold water, etc, back and forth. Just remember that if you're a few degrees off, it's easy to tweak- just go slow and easy.

I think Bobby_M's videos are better for learning AG, even though there was nothing wrong with that one. Take a look at his, and if you have any questions, make sure you ask- that's why we're here after all. Good luck!

Old 06-22-2009, 01:46 PM   #8
eelpout
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillTheSlink View Post
Questions about the video: He just dumps his whole lot of sparg water onto the bed. I thought you had to do this pretty gently and slowly. I was going to buy the Phil's lautertun which has a two bucket system linked by a sparg arm, but if this will work then I think I am good to go.
Yea that exactly how I brew. Its called a batch sparge. The slow and gentle method is fly sparging.
I personally like the batch sparge because there are a few less things for me to mess up or worry about. and it is way faster.
you'l like it

Old 06-22-2009, 01:52 PM   #9
syd138
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

cool video.. eventually I have to get into AG

Old 06-22-2009, 01:59 PM   #10
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4785 Times on 3480 Posts
Likes Given: 956

Quote:
Originally Posted by syd138 View Post
cool video.. eventually I have to get into AG
I like the videos, because it can show exactly what's happening. I was so intimidated at first by the equipment I saw- those big burners and all the other "stuff" that I didn't recognize. Even now, I have a couple of coolers and a couple of pots. That's really all I need for the basics. I think that if you are handy with a few tools, you could start AG with a basic cooler (but a ball valve is very helpful on it!), a turkey fryer or other big pot and burner, and a good thermometer. Definitely under $100.

Quick Reply