Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > All Grain Questions

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-19-2011, 12:48 AM   #11
ericbreen
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Is grist to water ratio important on the second runnings when batch sparging?i used beersmith to figure out my recipe, and couldn't really understand how much water to add after the initial sparge

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-19-2011, 01:05 AM   #12
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4481 Times on 3260 Posts
Likes Given: 870

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericbreen View Post
Is grist to water ratio important on the second runnings when batch sparging?i used beersmith to figure out my recipe, and couldn't really understand how much water to add after the initial sparge
No, not at all. You can just batch sparge up to your boil volume. What I mean is this- if you get 3 gallons of first runnings, and you need 6.5 gallons for your boil volume, simply sparging with 3.5 gallons if the way to do it.

Some people break that into two additions, some don't. It doesn't really matter, as long as you can thoroughly stir the grainbed/water addition and drain it well.

Old 11-19-2011, 02:45 AM   #13
djfriesen
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 5

You may also want to account for the water that will stay soaked in your grains. Maybe it's because I only do BIAB (Does mashing in a cooler with a manifold/braid/FB make this less of an issue? If so, it's one more reason on my list to build a cooler conversion MT), but I find that I wait around forever to get that last bit of wort, unless I bump my sparge volume up a couple quarts. I'd rather have slightly too much than not quite enough.

Quick Reply