Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > All Grain question

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-25-2012, 03:41 PM   #11
krenshaw
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 48 Times on 44 Posts
Likes Given: 27

come to think of it.. i use brewsmith all the time but i've never really taken the time to check the temp of my mash.. i should do that this weekend when i'm brewing.. my efficiencies (sp??) are usually pretty good, though maybe slight variations have to do with the temp.. i could be trusting the mash in temp of brewsmith higher to bring the grain/mash the right temp a little much.. does anybody who use brewsmith have to change the temperature much from its recommendation much?

~ A fine beer may be judged with only one sip, but it's better to be thoroughly sure.

DOWN THE HATCH BREWING
Stainless Hop Spider | Wooden Brew Rig | Dual Hinge Keezer Build

Primaries.. oxy :-(
Keg 1: Apfelwein | Keg 2: BlackEyePA version2 | Keg 3: Summer Saison
Bottles: lots full and even more empty

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-25-2012, 03:45 PM   #12
MikeinCT
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Another example:

Yesterday I built a 5 gallon batch. In my 5 gallon cylindrical tun I added 3.5 gallon of water at 176F and 12 pounds of grain at room temperature. My temperature after doughing in and then waiting 10 minutes ( I always wait ten minutes to allow the masses to reach steady state) was 156F. I shoot for 155F+. I do not like 155F minus.

Then two - 2 gallon sparges at 185F each. This brings my grain bed to 168F.

I have arrived at these temps and volumes with experience and keeping notes.

As the slogan goes - "your mileage may vary" - Good Luck, Mike

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply