Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > All Grain Left Out 5lbs of Grain

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-09-2012, 05:54 PM   #11
twistr25
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 113 Times on 106 Posts
Likes Given: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by schwinn View Post
I just posted a question about adding DME to the fermenter today.
This seems like a great answer - almost too easy.
Is 160 degrees enough to sterilize the DME without killing the yeast cells in the drawn off wort?
Is a light DME the best sugar to use?
Any clue on how to figure the alcohol / SG jump for DME added to a 5 gallon batch.
Light DME is probably your best bet. You will definitely lose the yeast that you heat, how much depends on how they've already reproduced and how much wort you take out. I'd watch a couple days, and worst case you may need to repitch.

After you add in the new wort, should just be able to take a hydrometer reading and find your new OG, assuming the yeast haven't done much to your original wort and calculate like normal.

Future:Who Knows
2013 Previous: Sunrise Honey Rye Pale Ale, Dark Skies Black IPA, Sunset Orange Kolsch, All Hallow's Eve Pumpkin Ale, Raining Hops and Dogs IPA

Awards/Recognition
Dark Skies Black IPA - 2nd Place at a local comp. Score of 39 from a BJCP judge

Twistr25 Recipes

GT Keezer Build

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-09-2012, 06:23 PM   #12
peterj
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 178 Times on 152 Posts
Likes Given: 98

Quote:
I just posted a question about adding DME to the fermenter today.
This seems like a great answer - almost too easy.
Is 160 degrees enough to sterilize the DME without killing the yeast cells in the drawn off wort?
Is a light DME the best sugar to use?
Any clue on how to figure the alcohol / SG jump for DME added to a 5 gallon batch.
160 is definitely enough to kill everything in the beer including the yeast. If you didn't kill the yeast you wouldn't be doing a very good job of pasteurizing. You can leave it at 160 for a while if you want to be absolutely sure. If you only draw off a small amount of your beer then there will be enough yeast left in the rest of it to handle the added DME. You can shake or stir the yeast cake if it's been sitting for while to put some yeast back in suspension.

Just add however much DME you put in there to the original recipe and figure out the OG of that.

Old 10-09-2012, 07:23 PM   #13
cander38
Recipes 

Another question (actually 2 questions)....

I'm going to draw off a gallon of wort and add the DME tonight. I am about 40 hours in since I pitched my yeast (WLP830), however, and have absolutely no sign of fermentation. Is this because my OG was so low? Will adding the DME get things kicked off? Should I repitch with the DME or just add the DME and see if things get going?

Also, the optimum fermenting temp for WLP830 is 50-55*. I know that fermentation raises the temp for Ales a lot, so you want the ambient temp about 7-5 degrees lower then your optimum fermentation temp. Is this the same with lagers? Once fermentation starts, can I just put my fermemnter in my fridge and keep it at 43-45* knowing that the wort is 5-7 degrees warmer?

Old 10-09-2012, 07:52 PM   #14
schwinn
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Do you think you need to pull off an entire gallon?

You should be able to dissolve approximately 18 oz of sugar in 8 oz of water.
Granted that is unsaturated water so actual with already suspended sugars will be less. I would just worry about all the yeast you are pulling out of solution they will die (especially if fermentation hasn't even started yet).

Is more yeast going to be needed on this one?

Old 10-09-2012, 08:44 PM   #15
twistr25
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 113 Times on 106 Posts
Likes Given: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by cander38 View Post
Another question (actually 2 questions)....

I'm going to draw off a gallon of wort and add the DME tonight. I am about 40 hours in since I pitched my yeast (WLP830), however, and have absolutely no sign of fermentation. Is this because my OG was so low? Will adding the DME get things kicked off? Should I repitch with the DME or just add the DME and see if things get going?
You may just have to see how it goes. I'd even suggest taking a hydrometer reading to see where you are at if anywhere, there may not have been enough sugar to show any signs of fermentation, but it could be going on anyway. I would be prepared to re-pitch if necessary

Quote:
Also, the optimum fermenting temp for WLP830 is 50-55*. I know that fermentation raises the temp for Ales a lot, so you want the ambient temp about 7-5 degrees lower then your optimum fermentation temp. Is this the same with lagers? Once fermentation starts, can I just put my fermemnter in my fridge and keep it at 43-45* knowing that the wort is 5-7 degrees warmer?
Theoretically that should work, but after the first few days of active fermentation, make sure you raise the temp back up to the actual optimum range or it could stall.

Future:Who Knows
2013 Previous: Sunrise Honey Rye Pale Ale, Dark Skies Black IPA, Sunset Orange Kolsch, All Hallow's Eve Pumpkin Ale, Raining Hops and Dogs IPA

Awards/Recognition
Dark Skies Black IPA - 2nd Place at a local comp. Score of 39 from a BJCP judge

Twistr25 Recipes

GT Keezer Build

Old 10-09-2012, 08:48 PM   #16
NordeastBrewer77
NBA Playa
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 7 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1078 Times on 785 Posts
Likes Given: 3977

Quote:

Is more yeast going to be needed on this one?
I dunno, it's a lager, they can be slow. If the OP didn't make a starter, then it's definitely going to take off slow.

Brewin' 'n' Que'n - YouTube Shenanigans

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeoitsmatt View Post
can i drink this? I mean. Im gunna. But is it fine?
Quote:
Originally Posted by yeoitsmatt View Post
it's not a barley wine. it's an ale.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bottlebomber View Post
Have you seen the price of ketchup lately? And I'm not talking Heinz.

Old 10-10-2012, 05:42 AM   #17
cander38
Recipes 

Quick update:
I just got everything back in my fermenter. When I opened my fermenter there was a small amount of krauzen (which wasn't there at the 40 hour mark since pitch). I opened it at about 48 hours since pitch. I drew out 1 gallon of wort, took it up to 160* added 6.6lbs of my DME, cooled and returned everything to my fermenter. Within 3 minutes of replacing the lid and airlock, I have airlock activity.

Anyways, Thanks to everyone for their input! I will update in a few months when my lager is finished.

Old 10-10-2012, 02:03 PM   #18
schwinn
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Quick update:
I just got everything back in my fermenter. When I opened my fermenter there was a small amount of krauzen (which wasn't there at the 40 hour mark since pitch). I opened it at about 48 hours since pitch. I drew out 1 gallon of wort, took it up to 160* added 6.6lbs of my DME, cooled and returned everything to my fermenter. Within 3 minutes of replacing the lid and airlock, I have airlock activity.

Anyways, Thanks to everyone for their input! I will update in a few months when my lager is finished.
Thats good news.
Sounds like everything went well. I will be trying the same thing tonight (on a smaller scale with only 1lb of DME). If you managed with 6.6 lbs - mine should be a breeze.

Quick Reply