Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > All Grain Left Out 5lbs of Grain

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-08-2012, 06:30 PM   #1
cander38
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default All Grain Left Out 5lbs of Grain

I brewed a Sam Adams Winter Lager Clone yesterday. When I took my OG reading I realized I made a mistake somewhere as my OG was 1.022 and my target OG was 1.069.

After going through my recipe again I realized that I failed to buy all the grain I needed. The recipe was for extract brewing with notes at the bottom for all grain brewing. I knew the notes where there and replaced the wheat malt syrup with 3.5 pounds of pale malt, but I failed to increase my munich malt and wheat malt from 1.5lbs to 4lbs each.

My yeast is pitched and everything is already in my primary for 18 hours now. I have no airlock activity and no krausen.

I plan on letting it go and seeing what happens (I figure I'll just have very low ABV that, hopefully, tastes good)), but should I be concerned that there aren't enough sugars to get fermentation going? Any other concerns?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-08-2012, 06:40 PM   #2
Frodo
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by cander38 View Post
I knew the notes where there and replaced the wheat malt syrup with 3.5 pounds of pale malt, but I failed to increase my crystal malt and wheat malt from 1.5lbs to 4lbs each.
You probably just had a typo - but that recipe says "Replace the wheat malt syrup with 3.5 pounds of pale malt. Increase the Munich malt to 4 pounds and the wheat malt to 4 pounds."

Big difference between crystal 60L malt and munich.

One thing that sticks out in my mind is that the bittering will be way off - the amount of IBUs were there for the OG of 1.069. I think if it was me I'd try to add some DME to get the OG up to where it should be, boiled in the least amount of water possible.

Old 10-08-2012, 06:52 PM   #3
peterj
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 161 Times on 137 Posts
Likes Given: 89

I've never made a beer with an OG that low, but i'm sure as long as there are sugars present the yeast will go at them. However, an OG that low is probably going to lead to a very watery tasting beer. I have 2 suggestions. (1) Go get the malt extract that was required for the extract recipe (or maybe a little bit more) and mix it with as little water as possible. Bring it to a boil, cool it, then add it to the fermentor. (2) Let this batch ferment out as usual. Brew another batch of beer with the same recipe except add enough base malt to bring it to about 1.116 OG. Let that one ferment out, then blend the two of them together.

Just my 2 cents. Not really sure if either of those would work because I've never really tried anything like that.

Also, when you said "but I failed to increase my crystal malt and wheat malt from 1.5lbs to 4lbs each.", I'm guessing you meant munich malt and wheat malt right? 4 lbs of crystal would probably be way too much for any beer.

Anyway, good luck!

Old 10-08-2012, 07:07 PM   #4
cander38
Recipes 

It was a typo, thanks for pointing it out.

I like the idea of blending another batch with it, but it will be another 4-6 weeks before I have time to brew again, so I think I'll just buy the DME.

I should use the full 6.6lbs the recipe called for?

Old 10-08-2012, 08:06 PM   #5
Frodo
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cander38 View Post
I should use the full 6.6lbs the recipe called for?
That's what I would do.

Old 10-08-2012, 08:50 PM   #6
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 133 Times on 126 Posts

Definitely use the full amount. I'd draw off a gallon or so of the wort and re-heat (~160F) it enough to dissolve the DME, cool, and pour back in.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

People Like This 
Old 10-09-2012, 02:47 AM   #7
peterj
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 161 Times on 137 Posts
Likes Given: 89

Quote:
Originally Posted by david_42 View Post
Definitely use the full amount. I'd draw off a gallon or so of the wort and re-heat (~160F) it enough to dissolve the DME, cool, and pour back in.
+1. This way you won't dilute the beer with any extra water, and if you heat it to ~160F it will pasteurize the DME.

Old 10-09-2012, 04:12 AM   #8
Frodo
Recipes 

Quote:
+1 really good idea.

Old 10-09-2012, 04:10 PM   #9
cander38
Recipes 

Quote:
Picked up the DME today and plan on doing this. Wanted to do it yesterday, but made it to my LHBS 5 minutes after closing time.

Thanks for all the advice, guys!

Old 10-09-2012, 04:42 PM   #10
schwinn
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Quote:
I just posted a question about adding DME to the fermenter today.
This seems like a great answer - almost too easy.
Is 160 degrees enough to sterilize the DME without killing the yeast cells in the drawn off wort?
Is a light DME the best sugar to use?
Any clue on how to figure the alcohol / SG jump for DME added to a 5 gallon batch.

Quick Reply