Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > All grain kit vs. extract kit?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-15-2013, 10:24 PM   #1
arborman
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 32

Default All grain kit vs. extract kit?

So, do you guys really notice a large difference in taste of the final product of an identical all grain kit vs. an extract kit? I brewed up a NB deadringer extract and was thinking of doing the same kit in all grain. Wonder if I'll taste the difference? I've only done 4 extract batches and one all grain, so there's plenty of room for error. But, if your a more experienced brewer? Whatcha think?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-16-2013, 12:44 AM   #2
freisste
Recipes 

Liked 294 Times on 245 Posts

You should definitely try it. I don't have a particularly practiced palate, but I have heard a lot of people say that even adding steeping grains improves a beer.

Old 02-16-2013, 12:54 AM   #3
kombat
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 684 Times on 442 Posts
Likes Given: 625

Going all grain eliminated the "extract twang" for me, so it was totally worth it.

Old 02-16-2013, 12:54 AM   #4
arborman
Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 32

Ok, then..... I'm going for it. This is what I call sweet research!

Old 02-16-2013, 12:59 AM   #5
Jeffinn
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I agree with the comment on "extract twang". It may have been from the extract, maybe the fermentation temps, maybe something else. But it became a non issue once I switched to all grain.

Just drink it!

Old 02-16-2013, 02:36 AM   #6
Cyclman
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 384 Times on 336 Posts
Likes Given: 122

I never got the twang, did lots of extract kits- but my LHBS has high turnover, so LME was very fresh. I do think, however, that AG has greater depth of flavor / head retention. Moreover, AG enables you to brew anything and make it your own.

Buying equipment, I would prioritize fermentation temp control / oxygenation over AG equipment. Brewers cook wort, yeast in the right environment makes beer!

Old 02-16-2013, 03:00 AM   #7
Hackwood
Recipes 

Liked 63 Times on 53 Posts
Likes Given: 119

My favorite beer that I brewed for a long time was a Brewer's Best Summer Ale. UNTIL I brewed the same beer AG and I loved it even more. I may do extract from time to time in the future, but this AG stuff has me even more hooked than extract did. I LOVE THIS SCHTUFF!

Fermenting - Nothing.
Lagering - Nothing.
Secondary - Nothing.
Bottle-aging -Nothing.
In the Fridge - Brian's Best Bitter

Old 02-16-2013, 03:05 AM   #8
tbel
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 14

I know many people prefer allgrain, but I've had extract beer that's superior to many of the Allgrains. A member of our local club brews almost exclusively extract. He creates/formulates his own recipes and makes some of the best home brew I've had. I haven't tasted the twang everybody talks about. As was suggested it may have as much to do with the freshness of the ingredients as anything. I guarantee you'll taste a difference between an extract and allgrain next to each other. You'd most likely taste a difference between the same allgrain kits brewed at different times. Unless you are meticulous about your methods there will always be differences.
In short, if you enjoy the process and product you get from extract don't feel pressured to do allgrain. If you like to be challenged allgrain can give you that.

http://www.razebrewing.com/

Old 02-16-2013, 03:11 AM   #9
bottlebomber
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2662 Times on 2074 Posts
Likes Given: 303

I've never tasted the "twang" that people talk about. The main issue I had with brewing extract was under attenuation. All grain is almost always more fermentable. But I've made lots of great extract beers as well.

Old 02-16-2013, 06:38 PM   #10
thielus_protar
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 2

A couple weeks ago I taught a friend to brew. We did an extract Irish red and then we did the same recipe all grain. They were Northern Brewer kits. Same yeast, fermented same temps and times, etc. Bottled and kegged on the same day. At kegging we tasted them side by side.

The extract beer was a bit less attenuated and definitely darker. The AG was a bit thinner but had a fresh grain flavor on the back side that was lacking in the extract. They were both good but we are gonna wait for his bottles to carb up to do another side by side.

Quick Reply