Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > All Grain IPA - what hops when?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-01-2013, 04:54 PM   #21
matthague
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by FATC1TY View Post
Well, a few things.

You shouldn't have dry hopped it while the gravity was so high. It's fermenting and will blow off the volatile aroma compounds in the hops, rendering your dry hopping less than effective.

Where is your final gravity estimated to be at? If you messed up really bad, you might only have roughly .010 points to go till it's done.

If the beer isn't done fermenting, leave it. Removing it from the yeast too soon will cause issues, one being that it will be too sweet, and stop the fermentation process.

You should be fine to leave the hops in there, but you did mess up by putting them in too early. Next time wait until it's done fermenting before you add them.

Check in a week and see where the gravity is. If it hasn't moved, your done, and you'll have a super sweet beer if it's done at 1.030 from 1.060
Thanks for the advice. Frankly not sure what the FG should be now since I adjusted the recipe. Though I am hoping for something around 1.015. I'll hold off on the hops next time around.

I'm learning a lot by messing up royally and your corrections, thanks very much!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-01-2013, 06:50 PM   #22
FATC1TY
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 128 Times on 108 Posts
Likes Given: 25

No problem. Best way to learn is by doing, and in that process you find things that YOU like, and things you don't.

With the changes you made, I'd suspect that you won't get the beer that low, which will still be high on the FG.

Give it a week, if it hasn't moved, you are done. The dry hops aren't going to make the gravity change at all, so that isn't any issue.

Taste the beer when you take a gravity sample and see what you think before you proceed. With all the changes and issues, it might be good, or it might not.

----------
Bubba's Backyard Brewery

Old 01-31-2013, 10:45 PM   #23
matthague
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

I cracked the first bottle of this. 2-3 weeks in the bottle it's nicely carbed.

Hoppy nose; dark, brown color; interesting bitterness at finish. It also tastes stronger than 3.1% (from the buzz test I get after drinking one bottle).

It's not an IPA but it is my first successful brew and a damn good drink!

Much appreciated the advice I received here and a proud father.

Quick Reply