The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > all grain gone wrong

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-07-2012, 02:26 PM   #1
robbobbert
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default all grain gone wrong

I tried doing an all-grain recipe with 6lbs of red wheat, 1lb torrified wheat, and 5lbs of 2 row.

I tried doing it in my 6 gallon pot, in a mesh bag. it was messy but I was able to keep the temp pretty close to 155 for an hour, I then sparged by taking 2 gallons of 168 degree water and poured over grains on a large stainer.

I know this isn't the perferred method but I tried to do it with the materials at hand. I had to add about 2 gallons of water by the end of the boil to get the 5 gallons i wanted. Put lid on top and shook the hell out of it and immediatley took a gravity sample and added yeast. Then took reading of sample and It was very low at 1.03 my aim was 1.06.

I added about 34 ibu of bitterness to it so I'm worried with that low of a reading it going to be too bitter. when I opened it up after I shook the hell out of it there was a large layer of foam on top when I took my reading Because I added a lot of oxygen could that have possibly affected my reading?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-07-2012, 02:58 PM   #2
flabyboy
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts

My questions would be how much water did you use? Do you know the boil off rate with your system? Did You stir the mash really good making sure there were no dough balls in the middle? Your beer will be more bitter with that low of gravity

Old 09-07-2012, 04:37 PM   #3
theveganbrewer
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 289 Times on 205 Posts
Likes Given: 265

Did you just shake it, or did you stir it completely? There are about 1,000 threads on low OG readings because folks didn't thoroughly stir after adding the regular water and when they take the reading, they're measuring too much water and not enough of the wort.

-Retired Homebrewer

Old 09-07-2012, 05:01 PM   #4
naiek
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 708 Times on 691 Posts
Likes Given: 27

I think you just didn't use enough water. Do you know what your strike volume was? A good rule of thumb is 1.25 - 1.5 quarts per pound of grain. Given the limited size of your vessel I might go with the 1.25. That would be 3.75 gallons at dough-in. The grain is going to absorb about a pint (1/8 gal) per pound so your first runnings should yield 2.25 gallons. Your sparge volume would be the difference between that volume and your pre-boil volume, if you are boiling in the 6 gal pot I'd have a pre-boil volume of maybe 5.5 gals, that won't leave you much space for boil overs so keep an eye on it. Your sparge volume would be 3.25 gallons. Your post boil volume will only be around 4.25 - 4.5 gallons though.

I think your efficiency was low given the small sparge volume and a lot of the sugars were left on the grist.

Old 09-07-2012, 05:12 PM   #5
mikemet
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 3

So much to learn....so much to learn... great post naiek

Primary 1 > Funky Dunky w/ Lemon test
Primary 2 > Apfelwein
Primary 3 > Experimental Pale Ale

Bottled > Bellys Belgium-E, Brown Eye PA-E, Pale Ale-E, Guinness -biab, Apfelwein, Funky Dunky Blonde-biab

Old 09-07-2012, 05:36 PM   #6
robbobbert
Recipes 

Thks for the help, I didn't stir it but I did shake the hell out of it so I'm pretty sure it was mixed well, but like you said, I think I didn't use enough water at the beginning.

Old 09-07-2012, 05:59 PM   #7
NordeastBrewer77
NBA Playa
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 7 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1074 Times on 782 Posts
Likes Given: 3977

Quote:
Originally Posted by theveganbrewer View Post
Did you just shake it, or did you stir it completely? There are about 1,000 threads on low OG readings because folks didn't thoroughly stir after adding the regular water and when they take the reading, they're measuring too much water and not enough of the wort.
Yeah, that's what I'm thinking. 2 gal is a good amount of top up water and just shaking it probably didn't mix it in all the way.

Brewin' 'n' Que'n - YouTube Shenanigans

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeoitsmatt View Post
can i drink this? I mean. Im gunna. But is it fine?
Quote:
it's not a barley wine. it's an ale.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bottlebomber View Post
Have you seen the price of ketchup lately? And I'm not talking Heinz.

Old 09-07-2012, 07:21 PM   #8
robbobbert
Recipes 

nah I put in about 1 gallon in first in the fermenting bucket, then added wort which was about 3.5 gallons then topped off with .65 gallons, put the lid back on and rocked the hell out of it, so much so that there was prob a good two inches of foam, so i think its mixed in pretty well. the sample test was a bit bitter and the color was a bit too light, but it didn't taste bad, hopefully it will turn out ok, or should I chuck it and start a new batch?

Old 09-07-2012, 07:58 PM   #9
homebrewdad
Recipes 

Liked 316 Times on 236 Posts
Likes Given: 226

Quote:
Originally Posted by NordeastBrewer77 View Post
Yeah, that's what I'm thinking. 2 gal is a good amount of top up water and just shaking it probably didn't mix it in all the way.
This. Virtually impossible to fully mix in that much top off water via shaking alone. I'd be willing to bet that if you took three readings - top of the fermenter, middle, and bottom - you'd get three different readings.

Fermenting: nothing
Lagering: Swarthy Satyr (traditional bock)
Bottled: Royal Goblin (Hoppy Hobgoblin rendition), Treasure Type "T" (oatmeal toffee stout), Enchantress (big Irish red ale), Frostfire (Oktoberfest), Thundersmoke brown ale

Old 09-07-2012, 08:05 PM   #10
NordeastBrewer77
NBA Playa
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 7 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1074 Times on 782 Posts
Likes Given: 3977

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbobbert View Post
nah I put in about 1 gallon in first in the fermenting bucket, then added wort which was about 3.5 gallons then topped off with .65 gallons, put the lid back on and rocked the hell out of it, so much so that there was prob a good two inches of foam, so i think its mixed in pretty well. the sample test was a bit bitter and the color was a bit too light, but it didn't taste bad, hopefully it will turn out ok, or should I chuck it and start a new batch?
Quote:
Originally Posted by homebrewdad View Post
This. Virtually impossible to fully mix in that much top off water via shaking alone. I'd be willing to bet that if you took three readings - top of the fermenter, middle, and bottom - you'd get three different readings.
^that.

But don't toss the batch, it's beer yo!!

Brewin' 'n' Que'n - YouTube Shenanigans

Quote:
can i drink this? I mean. Im gunna. But is it fine?
Quote:
it's not a barley wine. it's an ale.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bottlebomber View Post
Have you seen the price of ketchup lately? And I'm not talking Heinz.

Quick Reply