Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > All-Grain to Extract Conversion help (Goose Island Green Line Clone)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-07-2012, 02:36 AM   #1
rifraf
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 196 Times on 150 Posts
Likes Given: 61

Default All-Grain to Extract Conversion help (Goose Island Green Line Clone)

Hello all,

My first brew is chilling in the fridge awaiting my first taste, and thoughts are beginning to turn to Brew#2 (hopefully this weekend).

I'd love to clone, or at least come close to, Goose Island's Green Line Pale Ale and I found this recipe on Hopville:

8.5 lbs American Two-Row Pale
1 lb Biscuit Malt (pale)

30 mins 0.5oz Simcoe pellet (13.0 AA)
15 mins 0.5oz Liberty pellet (4.0 AA)
10 mins 0.5oz Columbus pellet (15.4 AA)
1 min 1.0oz Amarillo pellet (7.0 AA)

Which gives OG 1.053, FG 1.013, and 29.9 IBU with an SRM of 4.

I'm going to be partial boiling with extract, and was hoping to do a late extract addition. I tried searching for easy ways to convert between all-grain and extract but got stumped when trying to adjust for late extract addition and partial boil at the same time. Normally I wouldn't mind the general +/- 20% rules on hops etc, but because it's a clone I'd like to at least get close. The only thread I could dig up was from 2008 and I wasn't sure if things had gotten more precise.

I appreciate any help anyone could give! I'm going to call it my "Green Card Pale Ale" and serve it at a party later this spring (with a "Red, Wit, and Blueberry" wheat) when I get my US Citizenship!

rifraf

You have to grow old, you don't have to grow up.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-07-2012, 12:22 PM   #2
rifraf
Recipes 

So I found a calculator that I think works. For a 3g boil on a 5g batch it gives me:

1 lb Crystal 20L (steep)
1 lb Extra Light DME (@60 min)
5 lb Extra Light DME (@Flameout)

.3 oz Simcoe (@30 min)
.3 oz Liberty (@15)
.5 oz Columbus (@10)
1 oz Amarillo (@1)

OG: 1.056
FG: 1.014
IBU: 32.6
SRM: 6

A little more bitter/darker, but within the style guidelines for an American Pale Ale.

Does this seem like it'll work? Is Crystal 20L the right steeping grain to get a little biscuity flavor?

Thanks!

Old 02-07-2012, 12:44 PM   #3
jdubb75
Recipes 

I would download the free trial of Beer Smith and use that to convert from all grain to extract. First things first, when you download it, watch a few of the video tutorials (they are only a couple minutes long each) and setup your equipment profile. It will save you time trying to figure it out for yourself and give you more accurate results in the end.

Old 02-07-2012, 02:34 PM   #4
TyTanium
Recipes 

Liked 549 Times on 387 Posts
Likes Given: 418

Check out this thread:
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/need...recipe-213912/

I actually emailed Goose Island on this; they confirmed a few things:
100% Briess Pale Ale Malt (NOT 2-row, there is a difference) ...and no biscuit/carapils
Bittering w/Liberty at 30mins
Amarillo armoa addition right before knockout

So, based on their input and the recipes above, they said the recipe below should be a "reasonable facsimilie of Greenline"

10.5# Briess Pale Ale Malt
0.5oz Liberty (30min, 6 IBU)
0.5oz Simcoe (15min, 12 IBU)
0.5oz Columbus (10min, 9 IBU)
1.0oz Amarillo (0min, 1 IBU)
5.0% ABV w/75% effciency & attenuation
~30 IBU

The Pale Ale malt is what makes this beer. I'm not too knowledgeable of extract, but you'd want to use whatever extract best approximates this. I'd be worried that extra light DME isn't malty enough, even with your biscuit/crystal addition. I brewed it with 2-row and biscuit and it didn't work. (it was still good, but not a clone)

Old 02-07-2012, 02:56 PM   #5
rifraf
Recipes 

Awesome thanks, just read that thread and will dig to find an extract approximation. Also, hi from Bolingbrook!

Old 02-12-2012, 02:26 AM   #6
nmichalik
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rifraf
Awesome thanks, just read that thread and will dig to find an extract approximation. Also, hi from Bolingbrook!
Can you post the extract recipe when you've got it? I'd love to have this brewed and "aged" and ready for the warmer months. This is probably the best goose island offering.

Old 02-13-2012, 03:11 PM   #7
rifraf
Recipes 

The recipe I came up with is:

6lbs Extra Light DME
1 lb Victory grains (steeped for flavor/color not fermentables)
0.5oz Liberty (30min, 6 IBU)
0.5oz Simcoe (15min, 12 IBU)
0.5oz Columbus (10min, 9 IBU)
1.0oz Amarillo (0min, 1 IBU)
5.0% ABV w/75% effciency & attenuation
~30 IBU

The guy at my LHBS told me to use 6lbs of Muntons Pale DME (british style pale malt which he said would give me color and biscuity flavor) instead of Extra Light + Victory. Also said to add a pound of Maltodextrin. I'm using S-33 dry yeast.

I'm using his recipe except, after reading on these forums, am only going to use 4oz of malto, and add it with the priming sugar. It's fermenting now, will update with as it progresses.

Old 02-26-2012, 01:36 AM   #8
colledge
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

rifraf

I'm looking to move beyond a kit and do a recipe. I'd like to try this. I'm a big fan of Green Line.

So, switching to the Muntons means no steeping? I'm not familiar with Maltodextrin but I'll ask about it. Did you just use 1 pack of S-33?

Old 02-27-2012, 12:32 PM   #9
rifraf
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by colledge
rifraf

I'm looking to move beyond a kit and do a recipe. I'd like to try this. I'm a big fan of Green Line.

So, switching to the Muntons means no steeping? I'm not familiar with Maltodextrin but I'll ask about it. Did you just use 1 pack of S-33?
1 pack of S-33 and the fermentation took off like a bullet. According to the LHBS guy, switching to Muntons meant no need to steep. I've never used malto yet, but seems easy enough. After reading Brewing Classic Beers it seems my gut instinct of steeping Victory grains for an APA was correct, so next time I make this I'll steep some Victory even if I keep the Muntons. The hydro sample was a little thin on body so grains should help.

Update:

Threw in .5oz Simcoe and .5oz Amarillo today for dry hopping. The beer has been fermenting for two weeks, and I'll be bottling this coming weekend after cold crashing for two days (total of three weeks in fermentation).

Took a hydro sample, which was at 1.014 as expected. Definitely a sweet, apricot smell from the yeast which is great because Green Line has that as well. The beer is fairly clear, golden colored, and tasted AWESOME. A little thin, the malto should help, but the flavor was better than I'd been hoping for. Very excited to get this into bottles.

Old 02-29-2012, 02:20 PM   #10
colledge
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Sounds tasty

I'm in Chicago. I usually go to Brew Camp for equipment, but this being my first move beyond a kit I'm just gonna get them to help me throw together something that closely resembles this. They don't carry these exact ingredients and hops. I asked them about malto and they said that seemed like a lot, but I don't know. I'm gonna ask more about it when i get there .

I may steep Victory with a light DME because they only have Muntons LME. In fact, I'm not seeing Muntons Pale DME anywhere, even online sources.

Quick Reply