Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > All Grain equipment

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-12-2009, 05:04 PM   #1
duridsr4fite
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default All Grain equipment

So, I see all the cool equipment with false bottoms, buckets with holes, etc., but what is actually necessary to do an all grain batch? Also, it seems like a lot of people mash on outdoor burners, but is it necessary to do that really? Why on the outdoor burners (more control of the flame?)? Can i do it on an indoor gas range?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-12-2009, 05:14 PM   #2
Brewer_Steve
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Just a big pot on your stovetop is all you need.
I made 2 AG batches like that. It works. It's not very convenient though...

I've since converted a cooler to an MLT, and that makes mashing much easier, and the entire process is more enjoyable.

Old 03-12-2009, 05:14 PM   #3
Displaced MassHole
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

Most people use the outdoor turkey fryer type burner because of the amount of heat it can produce. A kitchen stove usually doesn't produce enough heat to boil the amounts of liquid AG requires.

As for the required equipment, do a search either here or google for John Palmer's How to Brew. It's a great place to start.

Old 03-12-2009, 05:20 PM   #4
flaminpi3
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I just started doing all grain. I went the cheaper route of converting a five-gallon Gott cylindrical cooler into my Mash/Lauter Tun with a loop of stainless steel braiding for my filter and an extra cooler for a hot liquor tank. These coolers maintain your mash temperature extremely well without relying on a burner. The advantage to going with a keggle/burner setup, though, is that you will have more control over the mash temperature for easier protein rests and step infusions. It really just depends on what kind of investment you want to make, you'll brew fantastic beer either way.

Old 03-12-2009, 05:22 PM   #5
McKBrew

Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Yes you can do it indoors. You can do it with a minimum of equipment.

This thread may have been written for you.
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/easy-stovetop-all-grain-brewing-pics-90132/

Make Beer, Not War.

Old 03-12-2009, 07:37 PM   #6
duridsr4fite
Recipes 

Can someone please explain the sparging process in this method to me? Instead of rinsing the grains, I just immerse them in the sparge water? Also, all this talk of efficiency...little help?

Thanks in advance!

Old 03-12-2009, 09:31 PM   #7
McKBrew

Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 8

The best bet for explanation on the process is at How to Brew - By John Palmer.

Also Bobby_M here at HBT has a decent AG write up. There is a link in his signature.

Make Beer, Not War.

Old 03-12-2009, 09:35 PM   #8
Dougan
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by duridsr4fite View Post
Can someone please explain the sparging process in this method to me? Instead of rinsing the grains, I just immerse them in the sparge water? Also, all this talk of efficiency...little help?

Thanks in advance!
You rinse them by immersion, you'll probably want to jiggle your grains a lot so the water runs through them

efficiency is how much fermentables you extract out of your grain. An "average" all-grain batch with a picnic cooler mash tun is like 70-80% efficiency and I think stovetop is more like 50-70%. You should look up how to calculate efficiency on google. Basically if your efficiency is low with this method than just throw some extra grain in the mix.

Old 03-12-2009, 10:30 PM   #9
duridsr4fite
Recipes 

how can I tell what my efficiency is? Hydrometer reading doesn;t seem like it would work, as there is no breakdown; the same matter is there at the beginning and the end.

Old 03-12-2009, 10:50 PM   #10
gplutt
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by duridsr4fite View Post
how can I tell what my efficiency is? Hydrometer reading doesn;t seem like it would work, as there is no breakdown; the same matter is there at the beginning and the end.
Actually, there is less matter. The yeasts eat the fermentable sugars and turn it into alcohol and CO2. the CO2 blows off and you are left with alcohol and the unfermentables in the wort. Alcohol has a lower gravity than the sugars, so the difference between the first reading and second reading will tell you how much has changed in your beer.

As far as a reading from pre-boil and post boil, you have increased the gravity by concentrating the sugars. There is less water than when you started, but you have the same amount of sugars and other material in the wort.

So you should do a gravity check pre-boil, post-boil and a couple times during fermentation. I guarantee you will see a difference along the way. When your gravity reaches a certain point and stays you should be done.

<some durid is pvp here>

Kegged: Stout

Barrelled: Oregon Group Brew Stout
Long term Secondary: Fool's Gold Barleywine
Next: Bohemian Pilsener

Quick Reply