Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > All grain brewing

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-09-2013, 01:15 AM   #1
shibao123
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default All grain brewing

I have been brewing several times with beerkits in can, also satisfied with my new kegging set. I think want to learn simple all grain brewing. Anyone can recommend me what equiptments have to buy ? Thanks

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-09-2013, 01:21 AM   #2
hoppyhoppyhippo
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 256 Times on 210 Posts
Likes Given: 78

What may be best if you're only done HME is to start with a partial mash.

As far as equipment it depends what you want to do. BIAB you only need a large sack and a big enough kettle. This is a great primer on it

LINK

As far as AG with mashing/lautering, you need a lot more. There's a ton of good information in the AG forum. You'd need a mash ton and a HLT at least.

Old 02-09-2013, 01:22 AM   #3
Cyclman
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 342 Times on 302 Posts
Likes Given: 117

I would look into Brew in a Bag first, less equipment but more involvement than all extract. Lots of deals online.

Old 02-09-2013, 02:19 AM   #4
BigFloyd
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 626 Times on 548 Posts
Likes Given: 575

Quote:
Originally Posted by shibao123 View Post
I think want to learn simple all grain brewing.
I'm afraid that "simple all grain brewing" is something of an oxymoron. I'm a recent pupil of it thanks to an experienced friend. It's not mysterious rocket science, but it's not simple either.

If you've been doing the pre-hopped extracts in a can so far, time to take the next logical steps to make you a good brewer.

a) Do a full-boil, 5-gallon extract batch that involves 1) steeping grains and 2) hop additions. Get your process down with those two new things. Get comfortable with it. You're going to need a big (suggest 9 gallon) brew kettle to do a full boil, but you're going to need that anyway if you progress to AG.

b) Get (or make) a wort chiller and get good at chilling effectively down into the mid-60's.

c) Do you rehydrate your dry yeast? If not, learn how to do that. It will help. Get good at adjusting the yeast slurry temp to close (+/- 10*F) to that of your chilled wort.

d) Get set up to do good, precise fermentation temperature control. It does no good to do a great job at AG efficiency, hopping, etc. only to ferment at an undesirable temp. There are lots of methods out there. I like using a freezer regulated by an STC-1000 dual temp controller. I can set my temp, tape the sensor (with insulation on top of it) to the bucket and let it ride.

If at all possible, find an AG brewer near you who can help you along when the time comes.

Cheers.

Old 02-09-2013, 02:32 AM   #5
dickproenneke
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyclman
I would look into Brew in a Bag first, less equipment but more involvement than all extract. Lots of deals online.
+1 to this. Try a few BIAB recipes using DB's stovetop method.

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/easy...ng-pics-90132/
bottled: Sim'arillo IPA, Stout, BM's Centennial Blonde, Belgian Blonde, Citra'rillo APA, Saison, Mt. Hood Blonde

Quick Reply