Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > All Grain After 1 Batch of Mr. Beer?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-14-2012, 01:10 AM   #11
drchris83
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 13 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewD
I would not recommend doubling up a stovetop AG recipe for your first one. Aside from the long heating/boiling times, that kit has you mashing and sparging with normal household pots and strainers. You might find that doubling the amount of grain would be too large for a household pot/strainer.

I think you should go for the 1gallon kit you linked, see what you think, and if you want to make bigger batches, you could start investing in a brew in a bag (BIAB) set up or regular all grain at that point. I've never done BIAB but people rave about it for 3g batches and larger. 30 dollars for a 1g batch of beer is expensive compared to regular all grain brewing, but as far as an introductory lesson into the concepts of mashing and sparging, I think it's pretty cheap.
+1.
Being European, I have no idea about the cost of ingredients where you're at, but the rest I can heartily recommend. I bought a contraption normally used to keep large quantities of mulled wine warm which I use to brew, however, I have done my first batch (6g) successfully on my stove. Lautering with normal household equipment can be a bit of PITA though - decide what batch soze you want to make and invest in an effective lautering system early (the two buckets method gives you a working lauter tun on the cheap).

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-14-2012, 01:12 AM   #12
wyant20
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I went from mr. Beer kits to 5 gallon extract kits to 5 gallon partial mash kits. Im still doing partial mash kits but im making my own recipes and using more grain. I will soon be moving to AG but IMHO doing all of these ways has taught me a lot and is the best way ( for me) to move into AG.

Old 12-14-2012, 10:15 AM   #13
Calichusetts
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 222 Times on 163 Posts
Likes Given: 600

I started with all grain and the kit from BBS. I had all the equipment necessary beyond what comes in the box (strainer, stock pot, fkip-top bottles) so I was off and running.

Not really as scary of a leap as you think. I didn't even know there was extract when I started until I came on this site. I've done double brew days with 1 gallon batches but never a 2 gallon at once. I would definitely check to see if your stove can handle it. My stove boils 1/2 gallon an hour. My pot is only a 10 inch diameter though so yours may vary. In otherwords, with the right pot...your only boiling 2.5-3 gallons, which almost any decent stove can handle. Hope this helps

Old 12-14-2012, 10:49 AM   #14
drchris83
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 13 Posts

You know, if you're afraid your sotve cant handle the whole volume, maybe try to figure out if decoction mashing is an option. It's widely overglorified and actually way less of a chore than you think. Due to an equipment malfunction I was forced to do a decoction on my third ever batch, and I'm still undecided whether it's in fact easier than infusion mashing - plus, it gives you great caramel aromas and flavirs unavailable to other brewing methods.

Old 12-14-2012, 02:01 PM   #15
Stigy
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Wow what an enormous response - thank you everyone.

I have decided on what I plan to do next and I think I might just take it slower as I would definitely like to understand what each step does and understand what is going on as the beer does its thing. I definitely want to have a full understanding of the process before I do something that gets messed up and I end up wasting a decent amount of money and get discouraged on my second or third batch.

I think this was just brought on by the fact that the kit my friend picked up is all grain from Brooklyn Brew Shop and it kinda made me want to do it, but honestly I would rather have better beer as a final outcome than mess up some steps in the beginning because its overwhelming.

I think I may move to the "Recipes" section of Mr. Beer (HME, LME and Hops) next to do some hop boils since I found one that sounds really delicious. And then based on that outcome then move to some more advanced stuff. https://www.mrbeer.com/product-exec/product_id/1246/nm/Camilla_s_Folly

I think its definitely tempting to move along at a quick pace because the outcome is beer, but I definitely want to learn what each step does and the course I described above (HME > Recipes > Grains) may be my best bet so I don't rush anything.

Definitely looking for some more opinions though - just curious as to what other opinions are on this subject about speed to all grain.

Currently Fermenting
#1 BBS Bruxelle's Blonde (1/20/2014)

Old 12-14-2012, 02:49 PM   #16
RichE
Recipes 

The 1 Gallon kits at Northern Brewer are Extract kit's with specialty grains that are steeped in hot water for a period of time (20 to 30 minutes I think) before the extract is added and the wort is boiled. Hops are included in the kit and are added a various times during the boil.

The 3 Gallon kits at Northern Brewer are all grain - BIAB and so don't require a mash tun/sparging, etc... but you would need at least a 5 gallon brew pot I beleive.

Quick Reply