ale vs malt liquor

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

winzerz

Reaction score
what is the diff between a high gravity ale and a high gravity malt liquor?

I ask this because I like to drink steel reserve malt liquor its 8.1 ABV

havent seen any kits for malt liquor

clue me in please

:mug:

Malt liquour is now slightly archaic and was originally a legal term simply to indicate that is has more alcohol - regardless of what style it is. I can't remember the cut off it was - somewhere around 6%. Back 20-30 yrs ago ANYTHING over the limit had to be labeled a malt liquor. These typically were as niquejim said, high alchohol versions of American Light lagers. Back them a number of imports had to have malt liquor printed on the label. When craft brewing took off, these laws were changed (I'm not sure if this is done at the State or Federal level). Now the term is pretty much limited to those beers that come primarily in 32 and 40 oz. bottles

pjj2ba pretty much summed it up, it was a legal term more than a beer style.

Generally now it's used to refer to a beer (or sometimes mixed drinks...) that is bastardized with lots of adjuncts. When most people hear "malt liquor" they think high gravity cheap beer.

Am I the only one that likes Steel Reserve? I much prefer it to most of the "ice" beers, if served super cold it's very drinkable.

I'd love to do an experimental batch of Mickey's some day. That was great when it was the original recipe (before it was bought out). Oh, I was also 17 when I drank that. :) I could bottle in in 40's too. That would be hilarious.

pjj2ba pretty much summed it up, it was a legal term more than a beer style.

Generally now it's used to refer to a beer (or sometimes mixed drinks...) that is bastardized with lots of adjuncts. When most people hear "malt liquor" they think high gravity cheap beer.

Am I the only one that likes Steel Reserve? I much prefer it to most of the "ice" beers, if served super cold it's very drinkable.

I would have to say that's a big yes, although I don't drink any beer "super cold" so I wouldn't know about that.

Latest posts

Back