Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Ale Pale - How long do they last ?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-16-2007, 09:22 PM   #1
Mutilated1
Beer Drenched Executioner
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Ale Pale - How long do they last ?

One of my Ale Pale type fermenters doesn't seal all that well anymore. Its been a couple of weeks since I used it, and I got it out to use it last night and I saw even though I had cleaned it before I put it away there is a fungusy type looking infection on the bottom of the fermenter. I've been pretty careful not to scratch it, and I've only used the fermenter maybe 5-6 times. It wouldn't hurt my feelings to throw it away and get another since it doesn't seal completely anymore, but I'd like to use it again if possible. Still the growth on the bottom scares me. I cleaned it off already. Should I be worried about using the fermenter again ? Do you think I should just throw it away and get another one ?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-16-2007, 09:28 PM   #2
the_bird
10th-Level Beer Nerd

Recipes 

Liked 378 Times on 311 Posts
Likes Given: 100

Sounds like the perfect time to break out the ol' bleach.

"I'm kind of toasted. But I looked at my watch and it's only 6:30 so I can't stop drinking yet." - Yooper's Bob
"Brown eye finally recovered after the abuse it endured in Ptown last weekend, but it took almost a full week." - Paulie
"no, he just doesn't speak 'stupid'. i, however, am fluent...." - motobrewer
"... I'll go both ways." - Melana

That'll do, Pigley. That'll do.

Old 10-16-2007, 09:45 PM   #3
EdWort

Recipes 

Liked 265 Times on 138 Posts
Likes Given: 7

For a few bucks, why chance it. Relagate the old Ale Pale to other duties like holding sanitizing solution, extension cords, immersion chillers, etc.

That's why I love bucket fermenters. They last a long time if you care for them properly and they are cheap to replace.

Old 10-16-2007, 10:02 PM   #4
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 134 Times on 127 Posts

Use it for other things, as EW says. The fungus can be cleaned up and sanitized, but leaks are trouble.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Quick Reply