Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Ale FG stopped at 1025

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-23-2008, 12:26 AM   #1
FSBrewer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Ale FG stopped at 1025

I'm doing an extract-based Belgian Triple. It started at 1.081 and for 2 days hasn't changed from 1.025. It's now about day 10 of fermentation and the brew is at 68 deg F. Would there be any harm in moving it to a warmer location, like maybe around 75 deg F? It still tastes a bit too sweet and I want 'er to keep fermenting.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-23-2008, 12:28 AM   #2
bradsul
Flyfisherman/brewer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I'd give it another few days to a week before I worried about it. 68F is a good temperature so I wouldn't try taking it up too much but a degree or two wouldn't hurt.

Projects: Sylvania Kegerator Conversion, Tower Cooling, Grain Milling Station

Old 07-23-2008, 02:06 AM   #4
barstar3
Recipes 

Hope I'm not in poor form for tagging to this thread. ...complete and utter newbie here... I'm in a similar situation with my first brew. All extract, belgian triple and seem to be stuck at 1.026. It's been there for a week at 66 to 68 degrees, after reading so many posts I'm just nervous about a bottle bomb. Should I bottle and go for it? Again I hope I'm not offending by jumping in here. thanks

Old 07-23-2008, 02:53 AM   #5
bradsul
Flyfisherman/brewer

Recipes 

Welcome to HBT!

No definitely do not bottle yet, if it's only been a week you need to give a big beer like that at least 1 more week in primary and then a month or so minimum in secondary. Use the same advice as was suggested for the OP, give it another week and see how it progresses.

Old 07-23-2008, 10:44 PM   #6
barstar3
Recipes 

First thanks for the welcome and advice. Second I should clarify. It's actually been fermenting for two and a half weeks. Has been holding steady at that SG for the past week. I think I know what you are gonna say to this part but I feel compelled to share it. Recipe said one week ferment then straight to bottle. LHBS guy said go a week in the secondary after that. ...anyway... thats where I am. Tastes pretty good actually. So excited to actually bottle and drink my first brew that I'm dying here. Patience was never one of my virtues.

Old 07-23-2008, 10:50 PM   #7
bradsul
Flyfisherman/brewer

Recipes 

Homebrewing will teach you patience, don't worry. It's hard at first but it gets easier.

You could try giving the fermenter a swirl (not a shake!) to get some yeast back into suspension. Raising the temperature to 70-75 at the same time should help get the yeast going again. Chances are they just flocculated a little bit early.

Beer is never really ready to bottle as early as a week. Even if fermentation is complete the yeast need time to clean up after themselves and drop out. The longer you let it sit the better your final product (up to a point of course).

Old 07-23-2008, 10:51 PM   #8
DuffmanAK
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

That SG still seems high, maybe swirl the fermentor some to rouse the yeast a little. See if they ferment more. if the SG stays, maybe it would be ok to bottle.

Edit: Gar! bradsul beat me to it

Last edited by DuffmanAK; 07-23-2008 at 10:51 PM. Reason: Edit

Old 07-23-2008, 10:58 PM   #9
carnevoodoo
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Which yeast are you using? You're making a tripel which means you've likely got some sort of trappist/abbey yeast in there and there's no harm in cranking the heat up on those to dry them out.

I don't know the overall fermentability of the extract you used, but I'd say swirl it, warm it up a bit, and see what happens.

Old 07-23-2008, 11:01 PM   #10
FSBrewer
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by YooperBrew View Post
I agree. What yeast are you using?
I actually used the two packets of dried yeast that came with the two cans of BrewFerm LME that I used. The kit came with a smack pack but it was essentially too dead to use.

I'm gonna try the swirling thing and see what happens. I'm with the other guy barstar3 who jumped into this post (no worries, mate!). I don't mind being more patient once I have 2-3 batches already bottled. I've only got one batch bottled and 3 more in primary (4 after this weekend ). (Yes, I have let the obsession take over a bit). I promise to be more patient with all future batches! Besides, I won't have enough bottles so they'll have to stay in the carboys longer.

Quick Reply