I've been making Alcohol for a couple of years now but no beer. Thanks to EdWort for your Apfelwein recipe,you got me hooked on home brew. With that said, for my first beer I was feeling important and thought: I deserve to drink what the president of the free world drinks, I'm kind of a big deal an all.
These are some pictures of the exact ingredients that I used.
I began by bringing 1.5 gallons of bottled drinking water up to temp (168 F). I then placed the recipe grains in muslin bags and steeped for 45 minutes at 155 F. The only change I made to the grain bill was that I used 1 lb of Munich malt instead of the recipes 3/4 lb. Then I continued to follow the recipe exactly with the only deviation being that I used 2 lbs of honey as opposed to the recipes 1 lb.
My Original Gravity was about 1.074 Which has initially concerned me as I thought that was quite high. I did some research into my yeast strain and was reassured by several home brewers that it could easily handle the 8 - 9 % potential alcohol level.
After I pitched my yeast into the 70 F wort it took approximately 12 hours to notice air lock activity and bubble movement in the fermenter.
I placed my wort/yeast mix in a better bottle with both a 3 piece air lock and a blow out tube inserted into a bucket of sanitizer. Glad that I added to blow out tube, the krausen is much more intense than wine making.
This is the happy yeast bubbling away at 68 F.
After 1 day the activity has been substantial in the air lock as I have had to clean it out and replace several times now.