Alcohol vs unsanctioned bottle - Fight predictions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OrdinaryAvgGuy

Reaction score
I just bottled a couple batches of brew. While bottling one batch, I accidently grabbed a handful of bottles and filled them before realizing that I forgot to sanitize them.

They are about 5% ABV. If there were any germs present, who do you think will win? The germs or the alcohol and yeast?

unsanitized** damn spell check...

It all depends on the germ. In the grand scheme, a small percentage of germs can withstand both the alcohol and the yeast. Some breweries STILL make beer by setting their vat of wort out in the open after all. That doesn't mean they don't exist though.

We have one maybe...

Not a whole lot of gamblers in here huh?

Well I will make a wishful bet and place 4-5 beers that the alcohol will win.. Wishful thinking. :D

We have one maybe...

Not a whole lot of gamblers in here huh?

Well I will make a wishful bet and place 4-5 beers that the alcohol will win.. Wishful thinking. :D

From what I've read here, you won't die. Taste may be off, but you shouldn't get sick or anything like that.

That's all I got.

pb

From what I've read here, you won't die. Taste may be off, but you shouldn't get sick or anything like that.

That's all I got.

pb

That's always good to know. I marked the 4 or 5 that I believe I forgot to sanitize. I will try to remember to report back in 3 weeks when I try one.

Be curios to see if you get any gushers from those.

Yeah, I'm interested also. The bottles were washed a couple months ago and then stored in my shed outside. There's no telling what may have been crawling around in there or floating in the air.

Reporting back with the results.

And the winner is.....

Alcohol! Threw the questionable brews in the fridge the other day and just had a couple. No visible signs of infection and no off taste. Got lucky this time.

Lesson learned. Keep your unsanatized bottles out of arms reach while bottling.

Reporting back with the results.

And the winner is.....

Alcohol! Threw the questionable brews in the fridge the other day and just had a couple. No visible signs of infection and no off taste. Got lucky this time.

Lesson learned. Keep your unsanatized bottles out of arms reach while bottling.

Glad to hear it!

I hate when beer goes bad.

pb

Back