AK47 Pale Mild attempt

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Geremiah

Reaction score
I just received my AK47 Pale Mild extract kit from Northern Brewers. This will be my second brew. I had a few questions, first was:

What are your opinions of this beer? How many have brewed this, whether extract or AG?

and

The AK47 came with Kent Goldings. I have about a quarter ounce of both Cascade and Perle hops from my last batch of Cascade Pale Ale. Should I add some of these to the AK47? My only fear is that it will be too similar to the Pale Ale in my fermenter?

I have not had that kit, so I cannot comment on your first question.

As to the second question, you typically do not want to go overboard with the hops in a mild. It isn't true to style, and since you are starting at a low original gravity, your gravity to bitterness ratio can get thrown off pretty quickly. With mild, malty and easy drinking is the name of the game. I would brew with the provided hops, and keep the Cascade and Perle in the freezer for use in another beer.

This was one of the last beers I made. I didnt use a kit but I did allgrain and based it off of AK47. I use half choc malt/ Crispbrown malt plus a bit of light munich along with using NZ Hallertau hops. No sugar though. Had a OG of 1.04 FG of 1.013. Used Windsor, turned out really good.
I would just leave the recipe as is. I only subbed because its only what I had on had so therefore I really dindnt make that beer just something somewhat of the same style,but I bet if I made the actual recipe that they would taste pretty different from each other.

Kit was ok, not great but BMC drinkers at my BBQ were big fans. I Wont be making it again.

just finished tasting my FG sample of this brew. VERY tasty and got some solid body to it for being such a light beer. Only 4.75 gallons in the fermenting bucket due to boil off, but that shouldnt' make much different.

instead of doing it with the Windsor yeast I used S-04 since it's what I had on hand and this was such a cheap and simplistic brew. very tasty and I'm glad to have something sessionable. I made 2 batches of Sasion that I'm chewing through and it's pretty beefy at 7.8%

That's Mild in a nutshell. Go easy on the carbonation so that you don't lose that body. Sounds like you are well on your way to some great beer.

sweet. on the carbonation. how many volumes you think I should go for???? I'm not finding a "mild" in the drop down menu for the calculator's "style" choices.

Back