Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Airlock Stopped after moving Primary- Typical Newb Questions

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-07-2012, 04:15 PM   #1
Damoxemus
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Default Airlock Stopped after moving Primary- Typical Newb Questions

Hey y'all - I've done a few batched with varying results (mostly acealdehyde laced ales) but I've stumbled a bit here and would like some advice.

Ok, so I made a pale ale yesterday with a yeast from Bosa (White Labs WLP001/liquid, was in a glass vial). I pitched it around 11 am (it was very well aerated this time, 70*F), went out for the day and when I came back home (midnight) the airlock was bubbling just fine. But then as as soon as I moved the primary off the floor the airlock stopped. I assumed that moving it had just caused some of the C02 to rush out at once and it would resume by this morning. It hasn't. I double checked to lid and it's on there tight.

In How To Brew though I just read the liquid yeast should have had a starter, so now I'm thinking I effed that part up and may need to re-pitch.

Any thoughts?

ps. I did take the yeast out of the fridge about 6 hours before hand and shook it up before pitching. The yeast best before date is Oct/2012, the room temp is 19*C and there's no other relevant things I can think of.

Sorry for the long post, and thanks in advance.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-07-2012, 04:27 PM   #2
thood6
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 11

The change in airlock activity probably means nothing. It is just a vent as so many people will tell you around here. Your beer probably is still fermenting away. Check it with a hydrometer though in a few days. It's the only real way to tell what's going on.

"An intelligent man is sometimes forced to be drunk to spend time with his fools."
~Ernest Hemingway

Primary: CDJ IPA #1, Sea Cow Pale #1
Secondary: HUH?
Bottle: Scroatmeal Stout, Kolsch, Honey Blonde, Imperial Stout, Raspberry Stout, Blackberry Stout
Keg: Pumpkin Porter, Vanilla Porter
Future: Irish Red, Centennial Blonde, White Ale, Whiskey Imperial Stout #1, Saison #1

LabRatBrewer Likes This 
Old 07-07-2012, 05:00 PM   #3
smokinj
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

It's fine. If it was fermenting before then it is either still fermenting, or its done. Unless you moved the fermenter from the floor to the freezer or oven. Give it a few days or longer and I'm sure you will have great beer!

Old 07-07-2012, 06:38 PM   #4
mrrshotshot
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 5 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 43 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damoxemus View Post
In How To Brew though I just read the liquid yeast should have had a starter, so now I'm thinking I effed that part up and may need to re-pitch.
white labs vials only need a yeast starter if the yeast is past its expiration date. Of course, it doesnt hurt to make a yeast starter even if it's not expired.

I just made an IPA with the Pacific Ale yeast from white labs with no starter. OG was 56 and the FG was 14 after 3 weeks. It was an awesome beer, gone in 3 hours at my friends grad party.

Old 07-07-2012, 10:34 PM   #5
Damoxemus
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Thank you all for the replies!

I came back from work today and the airlock is moving again, I assume from re-sealing the lid on the primary.

And yeah, I re-read the instructions on the White Labs vial and saw what you stated, mrrshotshot.

Quick Reply